Thursday 27 May 2010

Turning Back the Clock

I headed down to Seafield Pavillion in Ayr on Wednesday 26th May to take part in the inaugural "The Land o’ Burns 10k Road race". It’s been more than three months since I ran that far and it’s been some 36 years since I was last at the Seafield Pavillion. I was a 17 year old youth then playing rugby for Kilmarnock Academy against the town of my birth. I remember it well as I played out my skin, tackling anything that was moving to the cheers of the travelling support and the consternation of the locals.

This time my challenge was much less, merely to get around the 10k route without causing too much damage to my ankle.

There was a great turnout from Kilmarnock Harriers and a good turnout from Irvine too. There were a few other clubs represented and a significant number of unattached runners and even Tommy the Clown. In fact the numbers registering on the evening were so large that the start had to be delayed by five minutes.

We set off in the gorgeous Ayrshire sun and headed towards the seafront, a left turn took us into the wind and along the promenade, where Kenneth Philips shouted my name. It was then over a pedestrian bridge, across a field and around a housing estate. Back to the bridge and the much needed water station, a right turn along a shaded narrow path beside a burn and then onto a main road. I had started fairly quick with a 6:53 first mile but had consciously slowed significantly and was running at about 7:27 min/mile pace. There was a lassie with platinum blonde hair who must have slowed too as I caught up with her and passed her.

I was also now in untried territory, having ran more than the 3.9 miles which I had run recently at Strathclyde Park for MND Scotland. The marshal directed us up a hill to our left and we were soon running past the scenic Burns Cottage and the 8k mark. My left lace had become loose, despite having double tied them, so I had to stop briefly opposite Rozelle Estate to tie it.

When I set off again, I couldn’t see anyone ahead of me and I couldn’t hear anyone behind me. I reached the 9k mark and for some reason thought that the last 1k would be downhill, it wasn’t, it was slightly upward. The next marshal directed me off to my left, informing me that it was “through the gate and a couple of steps”. I heard him repeat the phrase and realised that someone was close behind me. I was running straight into the sunshine and was thankful that I had decided to run with my sun glasses on. I saw the first woman home, Joasia Zakrzewski on her bike, and she encouraged me as I sprinted towards the gate. I managed to clear the two steps into the park unharmed and looked to my right expecting to see the finish line. However it wasn’t there and as I made my way along the shingle path the platinum blond lass (Ainslie Mul), running on the grass, overtook me. I could hear loads of shouts for me as, presumably the Killie lads who had already finished, cheered me to the finish line.

Results show that I had taken 45:11 to complete the course, which was far from a PB (42:19) but not that bad considering my injury and lack of training, in fact it was quicker than my Great Scottish Run of last September (45:17) and not that far off my last 10k outing, the Jack Crawford in February which I completed in 44:14. I placed 61st out of 208 and 11th m50.

All in all a good race, a scenic and varied course, a great t-shirt, a medal, a mars bar, bottle of water and banana, changing and shower facilities (dated and limited) and all for £5 for SAL members! With first place prizes of £100 and numerous other prizes all being presented by the local Provost, Toni McIntosh providing free massages and the option of buying food from the local hot dog van, it seems to me that many other races could learn a thing a thing or two from Ayr Seaforth. The Land o’ Burns 10k Road race is definitely one to be added to the diary for next year.

I headed along to the Golf Inn at Prestwick to see my neice, grabbed a single fish (two lovely breaded fillets)from the take away next door and then back up the road to Glasgow for a well deserved glass or two of vin rouge.
 
Pics courtsey of Kenneth Phillips

2 comments:

  1. Good running big fella -- great to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Norman, guess I'll need to do some training soon.

    ReplyDelete