Monday 17 May 2010

25 Mile Cycle to Strathclyde Park and Back, Stopping to Race the parkrun

I decided on Friday that it would be a good idea to combine some cycling with a short run over the weekend. The Glasgow parkrun with its many hills and turns really worked my injured ankle last week so I ruled that out and instead plumped to do the less winding and flatter Strathclyde parkrun. It’s been on my radar since it commenced on 10 April. A quick text to Susan Clark and she agreed to join me in the venture and we arranged to meet up at 8.00 on Saturday morning to give us plenty of time to cycle the 13+ miles from Shawlands to Strathclyde park. We arrived in loads of time, the journey taking 60 minutes and chatted with the Race Director, Ally Robb, and her band of merry volunteers and fellow runners, including Kirkintilloch’s Ada Stewart, Hamilton’s Jim Breen, Killie’s Murray McDonald and Strathaven’s Andrew Scott and his cycling partner.


Strathclyde parkrun #6
At 9.30 we were off heading along the grass and then the tarmac path along the loch side. There was a bit of a shower just as we started but that soon died out. I had started near the front but as we reached the first marshal, who directed us slightly away from the lochside at about one mile, the field had already spread out. I overtook a couple of guys just before the turning point. The course is needle shaped and as the next marshal directed us back along the loch side, I could feel the strong head wind and wished that I had someone to run behind. Unfortunately there was a good gap in front of me to the next two guys and then a further gap to the group in front of them and then the leaders spread out ahead. Unlike the Glasgow event, at Strathclyde you can see the tent at the finish line straight after the turn, which makes it a long 2.5k finish. You can also see, through the bushes, some other runners making their way out towards the turning point. I spied Ada there and then not too far behind her Susan.

At the 4k marker I had caught up with the two in front but didn’t have enough energy to overtake them, in fact it took me a lot of effort to stay with them. With about 500 metres to go I increased the pace and overtook both of them, however in the last 200 metres or so the faster of the two (Derek Shand SM30-34) caught me and left me for pace as he sprinted over the line.

I Won !!  (My Age Cat)
I placed 15th overall with a time of 21:46 and was the first MV50-54, with a WAVA of 68.64%. One of my goals this year was to finish first in my age group and I had achieved it! Ada finished second woman and Susan fifth.

Full Results

Post Race
I rewarded myself with a well deserved coffee and bacon roll in the Waterfront Café, neither of which matched the high standards of the Burrell Café, and some good banter with Susan, Ada and Miller Barbour. Ally and her volunteers provided some excellent home baking though and informed us that the event, which has been attracting just over 80 runners, had achieved 100 runners for the first time.

Arabs, Staggies and Free Pies
It was then back on the bikes and up though Hamilton and a heavy rain shower before meeting up with the Scottish Cup Final supporters of both Dundee United and Ross County as they made their way to Hampden Park. We made our way to Queens Park and the Farmers Market for some friendly chat, tasters and some purchases too. A big thank you to the Ayrshire butcher who gave me a free steak pie so that I could compare it with the famous Killie Pie produced by his county butcher rival Wales.

Pics
Photo courtesy of Vikki Hare.  More here

No comments:

Post a Comment