Friday 14 May 2010

My Rare Ankle Injury


My physiotherapist had arranged for an experienced podiatrist to have a look at my ankle this week.  

Apparently they had been chatting and she had mentioned the fact that I had suffered a medial (inside) of the ankle injury to the deltoid ligament complex which goes from the medial malleolus of the tibia to the talus.  He stated that it was a very rare injury as most injuries are to the ligaments on the lateral (outside) of the ankle.
However after inspecting the injury he agreed with the diagnosis adding that, in all his years of experience, he had only seen three cases.  He also pointed out that it was this type of injury that had fractured the ankle of Lawrence Dallaglio in the Lions' Tour in 2005.

The podiatrist also agreed that the treatment that I have been receiving, ultra sound and balancing exercises are appropriate for the injury. I've started gentle running so things are on the mend, albeit slowly.  Thank Labour for the NHS!

No comments:

Post a Comment