Monday 31 August 2009

No Race but Hard Week of Training


After last week's Isle of Bute 10k, I started this week quite easily. I'm training for the Loch Ness Marathon on 4th October and I'm following one of Hal Higdon's Marathon Training plans, which included 4 miles on Sunday, 10 on Monday, 5 on Tuesday, 7 x hills on Wednesday, Thursday rest, 10 miles at Race Pace on Friday, followed by 20 miles long run on Saturday. I had to check the last two as it seemed a bit much but it was correct. However I did get Wednesday's session wrong as I thought it meant 7 miles of hills, which I did, rather than just 7 hills !! I planned to do the 20 miles at about 9 min/mile pace but unfortunately I got sucked into the pace that the 6 milers, 10 milers and faster marathon runners were setting and although I slowed it down after 5 miles, I struggled to complete the 20 miles. But I did get it done and my total time was about 1:55 so not far off of what I was looking for.

I went along to the Paisley 10k yesterday to take some photos and support the runners. I really enjoyed the event although I must admit to joining in, fully clothed, and running the last 2.5k of the race. However I did turn down the offer of a tee shirt and medal. It was great to get the chance to chat with running legend Haley Haining at the end of the race. See my report here.

It's a much easier week of training, with my long run only 12 miles and I'll run the Great Scottish 10k race and support the Half Marathon runners on the Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment