Tuesday 8 September 2009

Race With Richard Gough


My Marathon Training Plan had me scheduled to do 6 miles on Saturday but I must admit to suffering a little training fatigue. I've ran 50 races this year and that's enough for anyone. I don't need to do a marathon and I've already benefited from the training by getting a number of PBs. So I decided to go to the pub and let my hair down, I had a good night but paid for it in the morning when I woke up with a cross between still being drunk and the onset of a hangover. Of course as any runner knows the best way to sober up is to run and sweat the alcohol out of your system. So off to the Glasgow parkrun I heade. This was to be my 51st race of 2008 and my 22nd parkrun and there were a few differences to this one than the others:

Due to Sunday's Great Scottish Run, the numbers were down, although still a respectable 119;
It was raining, not heavy but still surpringly rare for a Glasgow Saturday morning;
Ex Scottish Football Internationalist, Richard Gough, who now lives in San Diego, was running.

I figured that I would run round at 8 min/mile pace and add a warm up and warm down, to cover my training. As it happens I did the 3.1 miles in 24:12. I also finished 60th so not bad all things considered. Richard Gough started slow, which meant that he overtook me as he ran on to finish in an impressive 21:39.

After the race I had a wee chat with Richard Gough for the Scottish Running Guide before heading into the Burell for a bacon roll, a soya latte and some good craic with the Kirkintilloch Olympians.

When I got back home I turned on the radio to listen to 'Off the Ball' whose special guest turned out to be a one Mr R Gough from San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment