Thursday 20 August 2009

Clydeside Series Bella Belter 10k Race - Friday August 7

I had thought about running the entire four races of the Tour of Clydeside Series but common sense prevailed. However I might do it next year. Instead I joined with almost one hundred other runners to compete in the final race of the series, my third 10k of the week and my 46th race of 2009, the Bella Belter 10k held at Glasgow's Pollok Park on Friday August 7.

I know the park most than most and was confident of a good run, however as I also had the Helensburgh Half Marathon on the Sunday, I did not plan in pushing myself too much.

We lined up outside Cartha Rugby Club and started the two loop course along Haggs Road and around the perimeter of the park. I noticed an older runner ahead of me and decided to tuck in behind him and enjoy the run. Graham Aitken tried to overtake me a couple of times but I held him off until 2.2 miles, when I decided to conserve my energy for the Sunday and let him pass. However I did glance at my Garmin at the half way point and noticed that I had ran the first 5k in around 21 minutes. As I made my way along the second loop I was overtaken by Killie’s David Mitchell and a bit later I noticed that a runner with a football top had caught up with me. I decided then to push it in and I accelerated along Pollokshaws Road and into Pollok Park. Although I couldn’t shake off the football guy I did overtake David Mitchell outside of Pollok House. Although to be fair he did slow up as his injury resurfaced. As I ran towards Lochinch I could see Graeme ahead of me and as I continued to race against the football guy we both overtook him as we approached the ’white house’. The road takes a sharp left here towards the stables and I gave it my all, pulling away from him as I turned right and headed towards the race start/finish.

I could hear the supporters shouting but I wasn’t sure how far was to go. The marshals directed us into the Cartha Car Park and towards the Finnish Line. I pressed the stop button on my Garmin to observe that I had completed the race in 43:59. A Seasonal Best and only the second time I had ever dipped below the 44 minute barrier. My Garmin indicated that the course was long at 6.36 miles.

I finished in 47th place, two positions ahead of Graeme who finished in 44:08 and four places ahead of David Mitchell who finished in 44:36. Gordon McDonald finished in 57th place with 46:29.

I enjoyed a pint and a chat with fellow racers and organisers before heading along to Samuel Dowe's for some more liquid refreshments and some live music.

No comments:

Post a Comment