Thursday 8 May 2014

No Tortoise at Troon

With helping Maggie to train for the Women's 10k race, I had almost forgotten that I had the challenge of the Troon 10k to prepare for. A quick look at my records reminded me that my last 10k was in Ayr on Boxing Day 2013, when I had worked hard to achieve a time of 44:42. I'm running a bit better now and I was confident of beating that, so I calculated that a pace of 4:24min/k would get me a decent time of 44 minutes.

Pic by Ayr Advertiser
After a warm up, which demonstrated just how difficult the last kilometre, into a strong head wind, would be, I joined into the 45min wave of the 29th Troon 10k. I chatted with a number of friends before we made our way over the timing mat at the Race Start and along the promenade. st k, perhaps a bit faster than planned but I knew that there would be some tougher kilometres ahead. As the route took us along Craigend Road, I found myself runnng shoulder to shoulder with Henry Merryweather, as we caught first John Cunningham and then Angela Carson. The 2nd k had taken 4:25 and the 3rd 4:23, exactly on target. Unfortunately I couldn't keep up with Henry but it wasn't long until his fellow Road Runner, Shona Donnelly took his place. I was surprised, as I had assumed that she would have been ahead of me.
The wind was behind us and I found myself running quite fast, however it wasn't that long until we lost the benefit of the tail wind and the wide promenade became a much narrower, puddle strewn, path. Soon after Gamin bleeped to inform me that I had taken 4:08 fot the 1st Kilometre.

I could just about see another Bellahouston Harrier's vest in the distance but I didn't know who it was, however as I met Shona step for step we closed the gap until I could see that it was Bellahouston Harrier's President Erica Christie that was ahead. The 4th k had taken 4:20 and the 5th 4:21, as we approached the water station, I managed to catch Erica but as I was struggling a little with a dry throat, I decided to grab a cup of water, and both Erica and Shona took the opportunity to pass me. It wasn't long though until I was back in front, the 6th k taking 4:25. Erica showed the mental and physical strength that has made her such a succesful runner over the years and we played leap frog a few times before I settled in behind her and Shona.
The Route

The 7th k had taken 4:21 but I was tiring and I was kind of glad to let the two women take a turn of doing the hard work. I had never beaten Shona and I was pleased to be so close to the two of them in the latter stage of the race. However there were a couple of other runners in the pack, including Ayr's Gael Riddle, and I was in danger of losing touch with them. I had heard a number of people shouting my name and this helped to spur me on. We were now battling against the wind but I approached the hill, just before the 8k mark, with confidence and I managed to recapture the lead once again. The 8th k had been my slowest, taken 4:28 minutes.

As we reached the 8k point, Shona made her break and shot off, opening up a gap on the rest of the pack. I tried to keep as close to her as possible and assumed that we had, at last, lost Erica but at the 9k mark, as I made my way back along the narrowish path towards the promenade, she came busting through on inside, leaving me in her trail as she succesfully chased after Shona. The 9th k had taken me 4:25 and I was still confident of reaching my target.

Battle of the Bellas in the Final Strait

I could hear the Bellahouston Harrier's supporters shouting Erica on and congratulating her on her strong finish. The same supporters and others were soon shouting my name and somehow I found another gear and pulled a sprint finish out of the bag, giving it my all, I managed to catch Shona and Gael and one or two others before catching Erica just as she was about to cross the Finish line.

It took me a few metres over the line to slow down and I was delighted but shattered as I filled my lungs with air as I made my way along the finishers' funnel to receive my well deserved t-shirt and water. My Garmin had indicated a time of 43:15.9, which was well beyond my expectations, representing an average pace of 4:20.

It was great to chat with so many running friends and to compare and contrast our race experiences. As usual, some were happy and some were dissapointed, I was very much in the former camp. My legs were however starting to seize up and I decided to do a warm down, where I saw Sandra Hunter battling against the wind as she made her way along the final kilometre, I joined in with her, giving her encouragement to keep going and get the time which she was chasing.
The Goudie Crest, Tortoise and all!

I had placed 119th out of 881 finishers and 2nd Male Vet 55, although my chip time of 43:16 wasn't a PB, it was a Course Best and a Season Best too, moreover it was my fastest 10k in three years and may well have been my best race ever, as I achieved my highest wava of all time  at 74.55%.

Many thanks to Troon Tortoises for putting on such a great event and to the supporters who braved the elements to cheer us around the course, although I may have been too focussed on my race to acknowledge many of the shouts, believe me, each and everyone of them was appreciated.


Full results here:  

No comments:

Post a Comment