Tuesday 6 May 2014

Happy Times at Tollcross parkrun's Birthday

I couldn't resist the opportunity to join in the celebrations in the East of Glasgow to mark the first birthday of the Tollcross parkrun.  I had participated in the first event a year ago and had completed the hilly course in a time of 25:18. I had been happy with that, as it was part of my recovery plan, after being laid low with illness for around seven months.  It would take me more than six months before running the ten hills again and I was happy last November with a time of 23:14 followed by 23:20 in December.

Some 93 of us had took part in the inaugeral Tollcross parkrun and although the record turnout was 109, the average attendance is around 50-55 runners.  The birthday bash was to blast that record into smithereens as some 149 runners descended on the 5k race, including 47 first timers.

Off we go.......Pic by David Lockhart
After giving a hand to set up the impressive array of picnic donations, I made my way to the Start Line where, after the pre-race announcements Katy Smith set us off at 9:30am.  I had thought about coaching Maggie around the 10 hills but decide that it would be best or both of us to run our own races.  It wasn't long until I noticed Emma Kay pass me on her way to winning the women's race and a little later Rodger McEleney.  I know that Rodger's been racing well and decided that if I could keep him in sight, then I'd be doing OK.  Easier said than done as he steadily increased the gap as we ran up and down the hills around the course. I know that Rodger is usually a slow starter and finishes strong and although I decided to up the pace after 2 miles, I could see him, in the distance, overtaking other runners.  However I was feeling strong and I started working my way up the field catching a number of runners and closing the gap on Rodger, who, in my mind anyway, was showing signs of tiredness.  I kept to my task and managed to finish one place, and tn seconds behind him, with a time of 22:18.  I didn't realise it at the time but this was 56 seconds faster than my last outing and exactly 3mins faster than my time last year.
Pic from Tollcross parkrun facebook

A number of other runners benefited from the strong field, with some 46 others earning PBs, including regular winners Shaun Butler and Shaz Hakeem, who placed first and third respectively with times of 17:25 and 17:39, sandwiching first timer Stephen Allan (17:31).  Emma crossed the line with a PB of 21:07, placing 21st overall, with Bellahouston Harrier Kristina Greig giving her all to earn Silver, on her first attempt, with a time of 23:24 and Karen Foster placing 3rd woman, in 24:22.

As usual, I shared mutual congratulations with the other runners before cheering the remainder of the runners over the final strait.  Using the run as a training session for the forthcoming Women's 10k Maggie did fantastic and is well placed to reach her target time on Sunday.

Eventually we headed back to the Bandstand to have our barcodes scanned, before enjoying some of the variety of assorted sandwishes, pastries and cakes and congratulating the event's first annual point winners: 

Males
1st Davie King
2nd John McCluskey
3rd Martin Lademann
Females
1st Heather Angelopoulous
2nd Caroline Findlay
3rd Lesley McArdle
Who all received nice bright yellow Tollcross parkrun ‘King/Queen of the hills’ running buffs with a special  gift being presented to the Volunteer of the Year, Brian McLachlan.

Another great day being part of the Scottish running community, huge thanks toall concerned and in particular the core team who have performed a sterling job over the last 12 months and more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment