Monday 6 February 2012

Long and Icy Run, Week 7 and parkrun 97

My VLM training schedule stepped up a level last week, consisting of:

Monday - 8miles;
Tuesday -- 4miles
Wednesday - 5xhills (4.2miles)
Thursday – Rest
Friday – 8miles @race pace
Saturday – 3miles
Sunday – 16miles

I was feeling quite good after last Sunday’s race and enjoyed my training until Friday came along and I was feeling tired. I hoped to squeeze my run in at lunch time but my morning meeting lasted longer than I had expected. By the close of business I had a bit of a headache, it was cold and I was lacking in motivation, however after a power nap, I was running through the streets of south Glasgow with a spring in my step. I did look at my Garmin every time it beeped, to indicate that I had completed another kilometre, but I was still a little surprised when I finished my session to discover that I had run it at precisely the time that I was looking for, to the second !

Parkrun 97
As usual, I combined my 3mile recovery run with a parkrun, although this time I kept my discipline and refused to get into a race with anyone, completing the undulating and icy Glasgow course in 26:14, just one second ahead of my friend Jennifer Healey, who was making her first return to the 5k event since August 2011. Despite the absence of a lot of regular club runners, due to the afternoon’s Scottish Masters’ Cross Country Races at Kilmarnock and the Renfrewshire 5mile race at Greenock. That said, there were still almost 300 runners taking part. Congratulations to Neil Ash, who completed his 50th parkrun, which meant that there was some free cake with our post race coffee back in the Burrell.


A Long Icy Run
A quiet night in ensued that I was up bright and early for my pre-run porridge before making my way over to Strathclyde Park to join some of the local parkrunners for a longish run. Ally Robb decided that the icy conditions were too dangerous and headed home to her treadmill, whilst I joined with Anthony Butler, Troy Morgan and Neil Robbins on the path towards Chatelherault Country Park.

There was a bit of ice on the paths but nothing too bad, the trails in the park were fine as well but as they started to get more undulating, I decided that it was best to return to the flatter paths and roads and joined in with Hamilton’s David Hay as he retuned to Strathclyde Park and along the road above the loch and past Scotland’s Theme park. With David having only one mile of his 18mile run to do and I with another eight, I bid him farewell and tuned left towards the loch. A mile later, I was back at my car. A quick energy drink and I continued anti clockwise around the loch. Beyond the beach, the path became more and more icy and by the time I had joined the local parkrun route, I had to revert to running on the grass. Back to the car, for another drink and I briefly met the lads who had completed their runs for the day. About turn and I ran clockwise around the much less icy path and then leftwards around the football parks. Back towards the car parks and onto the road, along past the beach and then another about turn. As I approached car park 3, Garmin beeped to in form me that I completed my 26k run and I walked back to the car, where a recovery drink was waiting for me. A few stretches and a quick change of clothes and I was taking my aching legs back to old Glasgow toun for a soak in the bath and a hard earned brunch.

My records revealed that my 16.16mile run was the longest that I’ve run in over two years and my sore legs confirmed this.

Week 7 of my schedule completed, only another 11 to go! Remember you can help keep me motivated and support a worthwhile cause by sponsoring me here, many thanks to those that have already donated.

No comments:

Post a Comment