Tuesday 28 February 2012

All the nines.................and a new plan too...


It was all the nines last week as I completed my ninth week of Marathon training.  I ran my 99th parkrun and I ran my longest run, 19miles.  I should also have ran 9miles at race pace on Friday but work interfered with my training plans and I forgot to check my schedule before doing my10mile run at race pace instead.

99th parkrun
Despite the temptation to get involved in a race, I managed to discipline myself and kept my 99th parkrun pace steady throughout the undulating 5k.  It was still good for the confidence though, as a number of those around me faded in the latter part of the event, resulting in me placing 72nd out of 363 finishers, in a time of 22:24.  It would have been a good day to race, with perfect conditiions and lots of runners about my level too.  It was a successful day for Pamela Joss and Sarah Whalen, who both celebrated their 50th parkruns by achieving PBs.  Well done to both of you.  Alexander Laughlan also clocked up his 50th parkrun but no PB.

I'll be doing my 100th on Saturday and I won't be chasing a PB, that can wait for another day.  However there'll be cake and chocolates at the Burrell Cafe after the run, so please feel free to come and join me.

Full Results


Nineteen Miles
I managed my longest run, in a long, long time when I ran around Pollok and Bellahouston Parks three times on Sunday morning.  19miles in all.  I met a few running buddies on the way and enjoyed the company of my new cordless Sony Walkman too.  I've never ran with an MP3, i-pod, tape or even a stereogram but I thought it might keep my mind from wandering off into negative thoughts.  It may have worked but even with my energy drink and in good spirits, I'm afraid that there was no convincing my old legs that everything was fine and they became more tired, stiff and sore as I took on the latter miles.

My legs were still stiff and sore as I put them through a 10mile run on Monday, albeit on the treadmill, before cycling along to Embody for my, now weekly, massage.  Is there such a thing as good pain?


Nine Weeks to Go
With the previous nine weeks having taken their toll on my legs and on my enthusiasm for running, it was time to review my training schedule, which although I had been sticking to it rigidly, just wasn't working for me.

New Plan
I've therefore decided to replace it with another plan which has a rest day after the long run and which even includes the parkrun as an option on some Saturdays.  Unfortunately not this week though.  A three mile run in 27mins is the schedule and yes, of course, I'll run the parkrun instead, just even slower than usual.
Let's hope that the refreshing of my training will help me through the next few weeks and bring back some of the love that I have for the sport.  Of course you can help too by making a donation to charity in memory of my sister who died of Motor Neurone Disease.


May All Your Miles be Happy Ones!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Ian. Unfortunately, it's all about time on your feet. The long miles on your own are the ones that get to you, try and find someone to join you for the last five miles. The final miles are when the negativity kicks in and you need company.

    Jammy Jo

    ReplyDelete