Tuesday 2 November 2010

Glasgow parkrun 30 October 2010

I awoke early on Saturday, as usual, so decided to run the Glasgow parkrun, as usual. I say run, rather than race, as I had run 3k at race pace on Friday and intended to use the 5k course as part of my easy four mile training run. I was a bit later than usual in getting to Pollok Park and only managed a very short warm up, between chats, before we assembled unusually in the bottom car park. Part of the course was flooded and the route had been slightly amended, organisers also advised that part of the course had been cordoned off and could only be run in single file. Today was not the day to be searching PBs. I made my way further back from the front than usual and after the announcements set off on my 5k run at a steady pace. I was running a bit faster than I had planned and covered the first k in 4:16. I found myself running along with Emma Rogerson (nee Simpson) and was content to run at her slightly slower pace, however her friend couldn’t keep up and she slowed her pace for her. However I noticed her fellow Kilmarnock Academy teacher Andy Taylor ahead and decided to try to finish in front of him and overtook him just before the cordoned area. However it wasn’t long until he returned the favour. The second k had taken 4:27. We then played leap frog with each other, the third k taking 4:34 and the fourth 4:22. I decided to up the pace for the last kilometre and ran it in 4:00 to finish in 60th place, with a time of 21:39. Not bad given that I wasn’t really racing. Next time I might ensure that I take it easier by pacing one of the slower runners.

Andy placed 64th with a time of 21:47, whilst Emma managed a new PB of 22:19.  The other Killie Harrier, Al Murray beat us all placing 36th in a time of 20:28.

Ron Hill Cambuslang's Chris Wilson was first over the line in a great time of 16:08, with Kilbarchan AAC's under 14 junior Gavin McArdle second in 17:23 and Bella RR Liam Conway third in 17:30.

In the women's event it was Bella Harrier Suzanne McMahon to the fore once again, winning in a time of 20:40 followed by the claret and amber pairing of Clare Barr and Clare Hughes.  The Motherwell duo finishing in 21:17 and 21:58 respectively.

Full Results

No comments:

Post a Comment