Monday 1 November 2010

3k on the Green

I ran my first 3k on Friday 29 October. I had signed up to run the third and final race in the Atkins series, however because of the adverse weather the race was postponed for a week. Some eight of us hadn’t received the email advising us of the postponement and turned up at Glasgow Green where Melanie Eynon informed us of the decision. The weather had abated by then though and after she volunteered to stage a timed run for us around the usual course. This would allow me at least to get to know the route. Robert Rogerson, Alan Fitzsimmons, Anthony Quinn, myself and four others set of from McLellans Arch at 12:20 and headed east along the Clyde. It wasn’t long until I found myself in last position and made a concerted effort to overtake Alan. I know that Alan is a sub 20min 5k runner but his form has been inconsistent and I was hopeful, if not confident, that I could beat him. The route then runs some of the jogscotland 5k course, which sees us running along the wide path road and turning a sharp right and making our way back along a pothole laden and puddle strewn narrow path right beside the river. I managed to catch another runner here and was very surprised to be able to overtake him. He looked like an athlete and was running well, I was sure that he would increase his pace when he saw me but I managed to get away from him. I wasn’t quite sure where the finish was. I had been told it was at the boathouse but nothing more specific. However I noticed a couple of other runners stopping up ahead and realised that the finish was in sight but it was too far away from me to hold off the guy behind and he sprinted past me as we approached the line.

Melanie cried out 12:02 as reached the finish but after we had congratulated each other, I was informed that the times were out by 12 seconds and that my actual time was 11:50. I would have accepted the initial time but I really need to be running sub four minute kilometres if I am ever going to get a sub 20min 5k.

The postponed race should take place this Friday, maybe with more runners I’ll be able to squeeze a few seconds off of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment