Monday 8 July 2013

My first Eglinton parkrun - no jousting!

Final Strait - Pic by Kenny Phillips

I returned to Club training last Tuesday for the first time this year. I had a fairly low key interval session but may have overdone the last one, when my youthful exuberance took over. The result was that my legs were that sore that I could hardly walk, never mind return on Thursday for the Club 2 mile Time Trial. I did endure a 5k 'recovery run' instead though. The old legs were still sore and tired on Saturday morning. I decided that a long run or a fast parkrun would be too much but quickly made up my mind to head down to Ayrshire and try out the relatively new, Eglinton parkrun. I knew that the course was over mixed terrain and not one for getting a PB but I was guaranteed a Course Best and that would do me nicely.

Napoleon III
When I was 17, I had worked at Eglinton Farm but Eglinton is best known for a lavish, if ill-fated medieval tournament, organised by the 13th Earl. The Eglinton Tournament started in 1839, cost an absolute fortune and ended in a farce as torrential rain washed the proceedings out. Amongst the participants was the future Napoleon III of France.

There was no Napoleon on Saturday and no torrential rain either, instead it was a gorgeous morning that welcomed me and 77 others to the Ayrshire event.

Wilma Kyle was the first friendly face that I met in Cunningham but I never got the chance to talk to her as I made my way to the toilet and then a warm up before making my way to Neil Ash's race briefing. I snatched a quick chat with Sylvia Mulholland and Sandra Hunter before the 9:30 Start.

Into the woods with Sylvia

Eglinton Castle
The route started on tarmac and headed east towards the River Garnock, up a short but steep hill and with the castle ruins on our left, we turned right onto a trail and then right again into the muddy woods, where some casual campers had pitched their tent! Through the trees and a sharp right turn took us down past the Start line, where the volunteers cheered us on towards the cobbles and Tournament Bridge. Across the bridge and another sharp right took us onto the large clockwise loop. A mixture of footpaths, tracks and trails took us through the gardens, around the loch, through the woods and along the countryside as we experienced the undulations, loops and bridges that make up the testing course.

I was working hard but not getting anywhere fast. I heard my Garmin bleep and looked hoping to see that I had run 4k, only to see that I had only reached the 3k point. With Mike Flynn and Kenny Philips among the cheery marshals supporting us, I plodded on for a second smaller loop, crossing Tournament Bridge for a second time but then crossing back across the next bridge before a right turn took us down the steep hill along the path to reach the Finish.
Tournament Bridge

I placed 31st with a disappointing time of 24:34, so there's plenty of scope for improvement but I'd ran my first Eglinton parkrun and my 121st in all.

I continued along the paths and trails of the park for another 4k before getting changed and joining some of the others for post run coffee and a roll in Ayrshire bacon.
View of Arran

I continued to stretch my aching legs by walking around the park with my camera catching a few photographs before driving along the beautiful Ayrshire coast to Portencross to take some more photos of the scenic hamlet and its stunning views of Arran and the Cumbraes. The old home shire was looking gorgeous under the blue sky and bright sunshine. It would be around 4pm when I finally arrived home for a somewhat later than usual brunch. Gorgeous weather, great scenery, friendly running buddies what more could a running photographer ask for? 

Portencross Castle


Portencross Angler



No comments:

Post a Comment