Saturday 7 January 2012

Cold First Foot into 2012



David Etchells
I caught another damn cold, when I was out running on Wednesday 28th December, I had hoped to miss the rain showers but unfortunately that was not to be the case and things got worse when the freezing cold wind delivered some hail stones too.  My legs were that cold, that they were burning!  I struggled out on the Thursday to keep up my Marcothon and again on Friday, when I cut short my steady state run from 12miles to around 8.  Things were not looking good for the parkrun on Hogmanay and I struggled around being overtaken by loads to finish in 23:29, the only light being a strong finish, where I just managed to catch Troon’s running farmer, David Etchells.  Despite being way short of 100%, I had managed to complete the Marcothon and had run my 68th race of 2011. 

After a quiet old year’s night, I was lining up again at Pollok Park for my first race of 2012.  I had broken out in a fever during my night’s sleep and was feeling a bit better.  This was reflected in my performance, which was a little better, completing the testing 5k in 23:01, a 28 second improvement but still a long way short of where I would like to be.  It was also good to exchange new year greetings with some good running buddies. 

Although I had taken the decision to concentrate on my Marathon training this year, I just couldn’t resist the temptation to join in with the runners at Lenzie.  Well I had a six mile training run to do and there was a 9k race at a cost of £1, with the promise of a cup of hot soup after the run.  Wrapped up, against the cold wind, I joined in with over 300 others competing in one or other of the three races.  My appearance was not to go unnoticed as the Community Council reported:
Pic by Karen Craig
The  2012 New Year Jog in Lenzie broke all previous records for numbers taking part by about a third.  There were 308 entrants split between the short route, the 4.5k route and the two-lap 9k run.  The weather was judged to be a significant factor.  It was certainly very cold and slightly damp at times, but there was no snow and ice.  This was a welcome relief to the organisers, as 2010 Jog was cancelled due to ice on the track and 2011 only went ahead with a route curtailment and after sterling work with shovels and salt on part of it.
The event was, as always, a combined effort of Kirkintilloch Olympians running club and Lenzie Community Council.  There were many more ‘teams’ this year from as far away as Kilmarnock among other places and Lenzie Rugby Club was also represented.

I had hoped to run around with a group of other runners, who would help to shelter me from the wind and make the session a bit easier than doing it myself.  However there didn’t seem to be anyone running at my pace and, particularly in the second lap, I found myself running alone until near the Finish, with only Alex Chatham in sight and no-one within a minute of my tail.  My time of 40:14 was fine for a decent training run and once again it was good to meet some running buddies, some of which I hadn't seen since the same event last year.

A great night out at The Ferry with Chris Glen and the Outfit, featuring Gordon Bell on vocals, and I awoke with a stinking hangover to the worst storm that the country has had in a decade.  It would be fair to say that my 5k recovery run on Tuesday was one of the slowest I’ve ever done.
Chris and Gordon

Wednesday 3rd January was my first non-running day, since 30th November, as I stuck to my training schedule and had a ‘rest day’.  Thursday and I was at Bellahouston Velodrome doing my first track session in almost three years.  4x800m reps.

My legs were a bit heavy on Friday, as I ran my 8mile Steady State run, and I was fearful of doms as I made my way to my 93rd parkrun on Saturday.  I half decent warm up and I joined a bumper crowd of 358 for the 155th Glasgow parkrun.  I was happy enough to take another 15secs off of my New Year’s Day time to complete the 5k in 22:46.  A warm down took me to my scheduled 6miles and the end of week 3 of my Marathon Training, only another 15 to go. 

As far as racing is concerned I’ve got 13.1mile Steady State runs scheduled for the 19th February and the 11th March, the first date coincides with the Kinloss to Lossiemouth Half, which I might do, whilst the latter coincides with the Inverness Half, which I’ve now registered for.  Of course, I’m sure there will be one or two others along the way.



Remember if you wish to sponsor me to raise funds for Scottish MND can you can do so here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment