Tuesday 20 July 2010

Five Strathclyde parkruns in One Morning

My marathon training schedule had me down for a weekend long run of 16 mile run in a time of approximately 2 hours 15 minutes.  I also wanted to get my 49th parkrun under my belt, so I decided to run the flat Strathclyde parkrun route five times plus a wee bit more to make up the 16 miles.  I had initially planned in doing the actual timed parkrun as third run but with one thing and another was too late in getting to Motherwell in time.  One difference between Strathclyde and the Glasgow parkrun is that the numbers are much more manageable, which means that there is no queue when you finish. This affords me the opportunity to hand in my token and barcode and continue my long run with little or no delay. 

I arrived at the back of 9.00 am and already Ally and her bunch of volunteers had erected the event tent and had displayed all the numerous signs which are so important in making the parkrun so efficient. After a chat with the team, including the two Jammies, I headed off, in the morning sun, along the side of the loch for lap number one. The park was busier than usual as the British Rowing Championships were taking place, there were also a lot of geese on part of the route who ignored me as I made my way along the loch side path. As I completed my first lap, I noticed regular Edinburgh parkrunner, Iain Taylor of Carnegie Harriers, who was using the Strathclyde run as part of his training for the forthcoming Tour of Fife Race Series.

A quick drink of my fuel and a Jelly Baby and lap two beckoned.  The problem this time was trying not to run too fast but to keep my discipline and resist the temptation to race against the other parkrunners who were racing against each other and the clock.  I timed 25:47, handed in my token, had a drink and a Jelly Baby and set off again.

The volunteers were making their way back to base and I was on my own again.  By the time I had completed lap three the event tent and the volunteers had left, unfortunately one of them must have picked up my drinks bottle, thinking that someone had left it by mistake.  Never mind, I extended my run to my car where I had some water, a quick drink another Jelly Baby and a quick wipe with my towel and onto lap 4.

By now there was no indication that a parkrun had taken place such a short time ago but there were plenty of rowers and their white trousered officials along the side of the loch, as well as a number of cyclists, runners and walkers.  This time I was starting to feel a little tired and the route was also starting to bore me so rather than turning left at the junction and coming back along the loch, I headed along the loch side and then back on the inner path. This had the advantage of delaying the sight of the 'finish' that little bit longer and may be a better option than the established route. 

Back to the car and another quick drink of water and yes a Jelly Baby and I was off in my fifth and final lap.  I had hoped that by this time I might have seen some of the Clyde Striders making their way along the route after running the first 18 of their 40 mile race but alas I must have been too early.  I was starting to fade a bit now but I knew that this was my last lap and that I was still on schedule for my target time.  I also knew that there were no surprises along the route.  With less than a mile to go I met Willie Drysdale of the Scottish Vets, who stopped to chat, I apologised and explained the situation as I dug in along the final strait to my car. 

I had run my 16.03 miles in a time of  2:15:33, average pace of 8:27 and had also completed my 49th parkrun but I was shattered o there was no hanging around.  instead it was a recovery drink and back home for a cold bath, hot brunch and a much needed siesta.

It was good of Jammy Jo (John Smith) to give me a wee mention in the event report:
It was great to see Ian Goudie with us for a second week, he likes our course so much he ran it 5 times on Saturday – although only once officially.
Well done to all that participated, including Iain Taylor who won, at the first time of asking.

(Pic by Ross Goodman)

Results
Event Report

No comments:

Post a Comment