Monday 14 June 2010

My 20th and 21st Races of 2010

I had an excellent 9.2 mile run in warm but otherwise perfect conditions in and around Pollok Park on Friday pm. A slight cool breeze and just a hint of a rain shower confirmed my choice to test my ankle a bit more outside than on the softer landing treadmill. I started slowly but then decided that I wanted to average 8:30 min/mile pace so I included a couple of 8 min/miles in before warming down to finish in a time of 1:18:19. It was the longest I had run since the Alloa Half on 26 March this year. Unfortunately my reward was a large blister on each foot!


Parkrun 44

I had considered volunteering to assist in either the Strathclyde or Glasgow parkruns on Saturday but instead decided to cover my blistered feet with Vaseline and run slowly around the Glasgow event. I cycled down to the start and after much chat the hooter sounded and some 264 of us set off to run the 5k course. I was that busy chatting that I forgot to start my Garmin. I had lined up near the front and it wasn’t long until I was overtaken by loads of runners as I settled into a steady pace. I was impressed at how fast some of those further down the field than my usual place were running. Near the bottom of the Glade, former County Champion, Greenock Glenpark Harrier’s Classic Veteran, Dick Hodelet passed me and I dropped off the pace a little to allow a gap between me and his uncomfortable sounding breathing. Despite me running slower than usual, I was still receiving encouragement from onlookers and marshals. I decided to increase the pace quite a bit on the downward part of the second lap and after overtaken quite a few runners found myself back behind Dick. As we approached the last hills, we were passed by a speeding Chris McKiddie. “Well done Chris!” I shouted, to be advised, by him, that he had slept in and was still running his first lap. I overtook Dick on the hills and could hear him shouting at himself as he dug in for that little bit extra strength. I had hoped for a really fast finish but although I finished strongly enough, it was far from a sprint.

I was delighted to see that my token number was 99 and that I would be receiving more than the nominal one point. In fact with 12 women and nine ‘unknowns’ finishing ahead of me I ended up placing 78th male, with a time of 24:23. In my 20th race of the year and my 44th parkrun I had gained enough points to take me up to 19th out of 1239 in the Glasgow parkrun male points table. Unfortunately I had damaged the top of my left foot and later it was extremely painful and I could hardly walk.


Ruby Young’s 20th Anniversary Race

On Sunday morning, my foot was feeling better so I headed down to Dean Country Park to participate in the Kilmarnock Harrier’s Championship 5k race, the Ruby Young 5k. The race is organised by Kate Todd and raises funds for the local Hospice as well as health awareness. Until fairly recently it had been a women’s only event but in latter years a separate men’s race had been added. As the rain abated, at around 11 am, the women set off and as they made their way around the course, I covered my blisters with Vaseline and warmed up for the men’s event scheduled for 11:30. Scott Martin was marshalling and gave me a description of the route, advising me that the last two kilometres were downhill or flat. I cheered the women as they approached the finish line, no surprise in the winner being Toni McIntosh of Ayr Seaforth but a welcome surprise in Killie’s Paula Wilson breaking the 20 minute barrier for the first time to place third in 19:56. I had told her just before the race that her 5k time was comparatively slower than her time for other distances and she had put that aberration well and truly to bed. A further surprise was seeing Susan Clark finishing so far up the field and in front of many of those that had beat her at the recent Land o’ Burns 10k. Susan finished in 14th spot with a great sub 24 minute PB, this was faster than I thought I would be able to complete the course.

With some women still out in the course the men’s race commenced and we were cheered as we headed along the park road to the famous castle, we then turned a sharp right onto a trail path which took us down to the car park, we ran through this and then back up past the start line, on to another trail path and up a long and steep hill. I had started steady but was still struggling up the hill. My Garmin informed me that I completed the first mile in 7:47. We then ran along a main road, I quickly decided on the cycle lane rather than the pavement, although it was initially slightly uphill, the route turned right and down along a single lane tarmac road. I had completed mile two in 7:35. I could see three small groups of runners ahead of me. The first group were fading, the second group were working hard and the third group seemed out of reach. I decided to focus in on the third group and to do my best to catch them. However as I overtook the first group, I found myself being overtaken by a guy with a Kilmarnock FC top on. I recognised him from other races and knew that despite his attire he was a decent runner. He opened up a gap on me and I was slightly deflated until I heard him comment to the two runners in front of him who were shouting at each other to increase the pace. “Their eye is off the ball”, I thought to myself and started to sprint towards them. I had to work hard but with encouragement from onlookers and the already finished women racers, I managed to catch the three of them and another runner or two as I approached the finish line. I had completed the third mile and a bit in 6:42, a total time of 22:04. My start had maybe been overcautious as the course hadn’t been as testing as I had thought but I had benefited from a determined finish. I placed 11th overall and second MV50+, thereby just missing out on a prize. I had also completed my 21st race of the year. After mutual congratulations and watching the prize given, I headed home with the Sunday Papers for a late but well deserved brunch before retiring for an afternoon nap.

Review: A lovely undulating and mixed terrain 5k race, well marshalled and user friendly. It’s more expensive than most at £12 on the day but it is for a worthwhile cause.

Kilmarnock Harriers
Results for Women:-
3 0:19:56 WILSON, PAULA
8 0:21:28 MCDERMENT, ELIZABETH
9 0:21:47 HAGGARTY, Laura
13 0:23:46 MCLURG, Eve
16 0:24:09 GOLDIE, MICHELLE
18 0:25:01 KERR, TRACY
19 0:25:07 MCCORMACK, Nicola
20 0:25:14 BRYDON, Alanis
21 0:25:21 ANDERSON, ANNE
23 0:25:29 PATERSON, LIZ
30 0:27:00 MCCULLOCH, JACKIE
46 0:29:27 GRAHAM, ANN
... and for Men
2 0:18:17 DRUMMOND, Connell
3 0:18:22 CURRIE, STEVEN
4 0:18:26 BRYDON, ALAN
5 0:18:34 MCDERMENT, Leslie
7 0:19:37 SKILLEN, RICHARD
8 0:20:02 PARKER, John
9 0:21:32 WYPER, TOM
10 0:21:55 MULHOLLAND, Terry
11 0:22:04 GOUDIE, IAN
12 0:22:07 TAYLOR, ANDREW
13 0:22:08 MCCLARTY, John
15 0:22:10 DRUMMOND, IAN
18 0:22:53 PORTER, Martin

Full Results

Photo by Kenny Philips

No comments:

Post a Comment