Saturday 10 October 2009

Up the Campsies



Now that my marathon training is over I get the chance to try other activities so it was with a spring in my step that I and my flat mate Gunda headed up into the Campsie Fells on Sunday October 4. The route she chose was the one along the road, up the paths to Lecket Hill (547), across to Cort-ma Law (531) and back to the road via Lairs (518).

The initial bit of off road walking was fine, not too steep and became more gradual as we made our way up through a few bogs towards Lecket Hill. The day before had been very wet and windy but today was dry, cold but sunny. Good weather for walking and for appreciating the Scottish scenery.

However, as I looked at Gunda’s guide book I noticed that the stage between Lecket Hill and Cort-ma Law was described as ‘daunting’. Gunda, who is German, explained that she didn’t know what the word meant. I advised her that it meant ‘don’t do it!’ We met three walkers coming in the other direction, one of which was soaked through and they advised us not to do the next section, however we decided to give it a try. It was boggy, very boggy in some parts, the path disappeared a few times and we had to cross a burn as we made our way to Cort-ma Law. We both got wet but it was worth it and not too ‘daunting’ after all.

The next section was much easier and took us along the ridge and through a couple of bogs to Lairs and then down back towards the car park. We met an elderly couple, both with two walking sticks, making their way up towards Lairs. They asked us if the cairn ahead was Cort-ma Law and we explained that it was a further two kilometres away and that there were a few boggy parts on the way. The guy was in his 80’s and I was amazed that they had got that far. Well done to them!
The views back over Lennoxtown to Glasgow were impressive as we completed our days walk and headed for the local tea room and some Earl Gray and then homewards for a wee siesta.

It’s been years since I was up the hills and my vertigo and post viral fatigue had kicked in but today I had no problems what so ever and I’m looking forward to my next one already.


No comments:

Post a Comment