Wednesday 21 October 2009

The First Edinburgh parkrun and a Great New PB



Cramond was the sunny, cold but wind free setting for the inaugeral Edinburgh parkrun held at 9:30am on Saturday October 17. Just over 200 runners of mixed abilities turned up for the event including Parkrun founder Paul Sinton-Hewitt, Glasgow parkrunners Richard Leyton, Tom Keenan and Tom Ross.

I joined in with the mass warm up provided by Katrina O'Hagan of David Lloyd before the race and then lined up near the start line with my sun glasses, Bella top and knickerbockers on. I wished Neil Renault good luck just before the off and made my way behind those at the very front.

The cold temperature was soon forgotten as I and the runners set off along the foreshore towards Granton. I knew that the route was out and back and included a long turn. Kilometre markers were placed but as my Garmin had finally died and with no stop watch, they were of limited value to me. I didn't really know any of the runners around me to race against them so I decided just to give the race my best shot.

Just as the route veered left wards at the start of the long turn parkrun creator Paul overtook and we both shouted words on encouragement to Neil Renault who was making his way back, well ahead of the rest of the front runners. I could hear a woman running behind me as I made my way around the turn but I worked hard to ensure that she didn't catch me. After the turn I increased my pace and caught a runner within a few metres. I could see Paul and John Owens a good bit ahead of me with about six other runners in between. With views of Cramond Island on my right hand side and the iconic Forth Bridges in the distance in front of me I tried to reel in the other runners and close the gap between myself and Paul and John.





alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5395014817277649986" />

I managed to up the pace for the last kilometre and was happy with my performance as I crossed the line and was handed token no.44. I made my way for my free banana and coffee and then rembered that I should join the queue to hand in my token and chat with my fellow runners, including Davie Black, who was one of a healthy contingent from the West Lothian Triathlete Club and had warmed up for the event by cycling some twenty odd miles to Cramond and of course back home again after the 5k. I also spoke to Tana Walker and her friend Morna Reekie who had also cycled to Cramond but only from the other side of Edinburgh. They asked me how I had travelled to the race and I advised them that I had driven, I then realised that they hadn't appreciated, despite my Bella vest, that I had came through from Glasgow.

Richard Leyton told me that he had finished in 48th position in 20:43, a new PB by 16 seconds and that I was a good bit in front of him. However it was only later on that evening when the results became available on-line that I learned that I had achieved a time of 20:19 (a wava of 73.75%) some 19 seconds better than my previous best 5k time! This was my 56th race of 2009 and my tenth PB.


First Ever Winner

Edinburgh AC's Neil Renault (S25-29) earned the distinction of being the first ever winner of the Edinburgh parkrun. The tall Team GB athlete led from the start and finished in an incredible 14:59. Almost one minute ahead of Harmeny AC's Robert (Boab) Turner (S35-39), who ran a personal best (PB) to finish second with a time of 15:53. Border Harrier Colin Welsh (S25-29) finished one second out from his PB to earn third place in 16:47.

First Ever Woman Winner

The women's event was much more closely contested with only ten seconds between the first three finishers. Edinburgh Road Club's Rachel Ramsay (S30-34) got off of her bike to become the first ever winner, with a time of 20:48. Unattached Holly Orr (S25-29) finished just three seconds behind, earning second place in 20:51. Whilst, triathlete Varry Mccullough Young (V45-49) finished in third spot and first super vet in a time of 20:58.

No comments:

Post a Comment