Saturday 5 July 2014

15,000k and my 140th parkrun

Having recently missed out on my training due to a sore back, I'm happy to be running again and returning to full fitness. I've been working hard on my endurance and building my milage up, so I planned to do around 18k for my 'long run' this weekend. I was, however, also conscious that I hadn't done a parkrun for a while, so I decided to turn the clock back to the days when I used to combine the parkruns with my long runs. A quick check on the map, indicated that Victoria parkrun was about 7.5k from my house, route sorted. I worked out that it would take me about 42mins to get there, at an easy long run pace of 5:30min/k, and set off at 8:40am.

The early sun was beating down on me and there was no shade as I made my way down through Govan, across the Clyde and along the cycle path to Victoria Park. I got there in time to have a quick chat with a few running buddies, before lining up with another 150 runners, for the 9:30 Start.

After about 800m, I found myself running along with Linda Kennedy and we ran around the three lap course chatting away, it didn't seem long before we were making our way down the final strait and crossing the line together. Although, I must admit to feeling a bit guilty when, timekeeper for the day Gavin Harvie announced that I had placed ahead of Linda. That said, we were both happy with completing the 5k in a time of 25:34 (an average pace of 5.10min/k).  

After chatting, briefly, with a few friends, I accepted the kind offer of a drink of water from, Eglinton parkrun regular, Sylvia Mulholland, who had managed a PB, on her first outing, at the much easier west end of Glasgow course.

I then headed back along the, sun kissed, cycle paths and pavements to home, over 20k in the bag and my 140th parkrun to boot.  Thanks to all the unpaid volunteers who made today's and the previous 139 parkruns, such fun. 

Despite injuries and illness, I'd also clocked up my 15,000 kilometre since turning 50, some seven years ago. Not too shabby, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment