Thursday 26 December 2013

Great Day at Ayr Races!

After having a decent run on Christmas Day, I wasn't sure if I was going to race on Boxing Day. It would be good to close the year on a high and I had a slightly dodgy stomach but I remembered last year, when I was confined to my bed and decided that a bad run would be better than no run and I headed down the A77 to the town of my birth.

Parking was a bit of a nightmare, which was the first indication that a record turnout would be participating in the annual Ayr Turkey Trot 10k and 5k races. I had been reminded recently that I had done both races in 2011 but this year I was hoping for a decent 10k to end 2013.

After exchanging seasonal greetings with loads of running buddies, some of which I haven't seen for a long time, I headed out to the promenade, where a fresh wind welcomed me as I took part in my pre race warm up, stopping for a wee while to hand out some photography tips to a friend. It was then a dash to the Start line, where I joined another 350 other runners for the mid day race.

Tucked in a Group in the First Kilometre
The first kilometre was quite packed and I was happy to be running along in a group, although the pace was probably a bit fast for me and I must have then slowed as I started to get caught by a few familiar faces, including Motherwell's Clare Barr and Kirkintilloch's Ada Stewart. I knew there was little chance of beating either but thought that it would be good if I could keep them in sight for most of the race, although I realised that doing so would be far from easy.

Whilst, by her standards, Clare has had a difficult season, she recently completed the Victoria parkrun in 21:26, whilst my best time there is 22:24. Ada, on the other hand, is in great form and she beat me at Strathclyde parkrun on 9th November, finishing in 21:34 to my 22:43.

I watched the two of them increasing their gap on me over the next three kilometres, where just after watching the leading runners on their way back, we turned left into Auchendoon Crescent and I lost sight of them, until I noticed out of the corner of my left eye Clare had pulled over off the road. I know that she has been suffering with stitches during her runs and hoped that she would rejoin the race. My only task now was to try to get Ada back in sight and to close the gap on her but I know that she's an Ultra runner and there would be no chance of her slowing in the second half. The only option was for me to run a faster second 5k.

I caught sight of her again on Doonfoot Road and started to overtake the runners between us, by the 8k mark, I was thinking that it would be possible to catch her but it wouldn't be easy and I'd need to keep on slowly digging into her lead, with the hope that I could out sprint her. 
Strong Running in the Final Kilometre

With support from the sidelines, I found some extra pace with about 500metres to go and managed to cross the line in a time of 44:42 and placed 127/351.  I was shattered and took a few seconds to fill my lungs before thanking Ada, who finished in a time of 44:48 in 129th place, for pulling me round and congratulating her and other running buddies, including Clare who had overcome her stitch to complete the race in 45:26 and my training partner, who had taken a leaf out of my book and had ran the 5k and 10k races.

Back in the hall, a quick change of clothes and we were rewarded with an excellent selection of sandwiches and home baking. Despite the record numbers, which saw the organisers running out of t-shirts, there was plenty of food and hot drinks to go round.

My training log, indicates that the performance was my best in 30months, with a wava of 72:16%, it sees me ending the year on a high and hopefully sets me up for a good 2014.

Many thanks to everyone involved in organising, supporting and participating in this great event.

Results  here

Photos by Kenny Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment