Wednesday 25 December 2013

Ho Ho! Best of the Year at Christmas parkrun!

100% - Toni, Jim and me.
It's five years now since the inaugural Glasgow parkrun Christmas event.  In 2009 the 5k had to be run on an alternate, out and back route through the snow, ice and slush. Thirty hardy souls braved the winter weather and Luke Traynor and Toni McIntosh won the races, with times of 17:49 and 19:15 respectively, Toni placed second overall and Jim Buick placed third, in a time of 19:43. All three maintained their 100% record at the Glasgow Christmas parkrun by competing in 2013. I hadn't realised that only four of us have raced in every Glasgow parkrun held on the 25th December.

Numbers have swelled over the last five years and we four were joined by an amazing 262 other runners who turned up this year, many of them dressed in Christmas related outfits.

After exchanging Christmas Greetings with a large number of running buddies, I lined up for the 9:30am Start. The weather was a lot better than in 2009 but there were a number of large puddles to make the course even more tricky than usual and it wasn't long before we reached the first one.

I started of running alongside and chatting with Toni but she dropped off the pace and I found myself running with ex club mates, Claire Thompson and Robert McEwan, trust me that doesn't happen too often as they are usually well in front of me! Although Claire's been injured and Robert, I think, was pacing another runner, I decided to use them to help me around some of the race. That, the support from the marshals, and the usual race against some of my contemporaries resulted in me ditching Plan A, which was to jog round, and adopt Plan B, of having a good run but keeping some in the tank for the next day's Turkey Trot.

Although I had been out on Christmas Eve, I've been training hard, and my legs were feeling strong and fast. I was also feeling mentally strong and was confident of reeling in a few runners in the second half. As the race progressed, I caught sight of Club President Erica Christie, away in the distance, and went about trying to close the gap on her as much as possible. I crossed the line three places behind her in 66th place (Thai for 66 is Ho Ho!), with a time of 22:39, my fastest in Pollok Park since November 2012.

I was delighted with my run and I exchanged Festive Greetings and mutual congratulations with various running buddies as I made my way back through the puddles to hand in my barcode. There was a wide and varied selection of cakes, mince pies, chocolates and assorted home baking accompanied by hot coffee and all tea provided by volunteers and runners alike, which added to the community spirit of the day. It all made for a great start to Christmas Day 2013. My thanks to everyone involved: runners; organisers; volunteers; photographers and supporters. Merry Christmas one and all!


Giffnock North take Gold

Five in a row for Luke
Men's Race
Giffnock North's Luke Traynor maintained his 100% Christmas record, winning the event in a time of 15:36, with Bellahouston Harriers Alastair Scott and Stuart MacDougall, earning Silver and Bronze, in times of 16:38 and 17:36, respectively.

Women's Race
Giffnock North's Ruth Joss won the women's event, placing 15th overall, completing the 5k in 19:08. Allie Chong was runner up and 29th overall, in 20:08 with Michelle Hetherington, seeing off the threat of her two daughters, placing third, 32nd overall, in 20:19.

Full results here

No comments:

Post a Comment