Saturday 23 June 2012

A Race of Two Halves @ the Brian Goodwin 10k


Pic by Scott Photography
There was a great turnout of some 217 runners for the popular Bellahouston Harriers’ Brian Goodwin 10k.  I think I knew most of them and it was good to see so many familiar faces at the Pollok Park race.  The weather had improved from the heavy showers, during the day, but unfortunately my health hadn’t and I struggled from the off.  I knew this would be the case and I started slower than I normally would, with the 1st mile taking me 7:15.  However by that time I was physically and mentally shattered and my pace slowed as I struggled through Pollok Park and along the perimeter roads with the acceptance that, for the first time ever, I would throw in the towel at the 5k.  It was a hard decision to make but sometimes such decisions are the bravest ones to take.  However when I pulled over at 5k and took a drink of water, my friends, who were marshalling, encouraged me to complete the race, “even if I had to walk/run the second half”.  This and my respect for those runners who were behind me was enough to convince me to re-start the race.  Although I was still feeling shattered, I managed to find some mental strength and decided that: I would beat last week’s Men’s Health time of 50:06; I would try not to let anyone overtake me; and I would pick off runners as I made my way around the second 5k.  

Flying Finish - he looks as bad as I felt! 
I was actually surprised that Louise Couper hadn’t overtaken me in the first half of the race but it transpires that she had been close behind me and had been confident of catching me in the second half.  I managed to catch three runners before a Greenock Glenpark Harrier sped past me.  Unfortunately I couldn’t keep up with him but I did keep my discipline and slowly worked my way up the field.  By the time I was approaching the last kilometre, I had caught another two runners.  Jimmy Irvine encouraged me to pick off some more of the runners in front of me.  I caught another three, including Graeme Pert.  I had a Hamilton Runner (Ross Bickerstaff) in my sights but I thought his lead was too great to catch him, however I surprised myself to find a last minute sprint and catch him just as we were approaching the Finish line.  I had caught nine runners and been overtaken by one, not too bad a result.  Of course I was shattered but in a happy way, despite the fact that it had taken me 47:37 (Gun time 47:45) to run a 10k.  I’m sure if I had pulled out of the race, I would still have been shattered but in a sad, depressed way, which would have taken much longer to recover from.

Mike Deason and Robert Gilroy
I placed 134th out of 215, Lou finished in 141st place with a time of 47:46 (Gun time 48:00) and thanked me for pulling her round the second half of the race.  Her younger twin, Claire continued her great form by winning the women’s race in a time of 36:55, Jaqui Thomson placed second in 38:19 and the host club’s Louis Warren earned Bronze with a time of 39:29.  In the men’s race Robert Gilroy pressed Michael Deason all the way but had to accept runner-up spot, in a time of 31:52, just behind Michael’s winning time of 31:51, with third place going to Paul Sorrie in 33:16.  

Take Two- Louise Couper crosses the Finish Line
Although the BBQ had to be cancelled because of the weather, the runners mingled together in bar at Cartha Queen’s Park Rugby Club, where a few beers helped to wash down the burgers and pakora as we chatted before and after the prize giving.  There was a healthy scattering of prizes, with age related competitions and host club runners all being well rewarded for their efforts.  It was after 10:30pm by the time the Couper Twins and I left.  Congratulations to every one who took part in the race, even if you were one of the couple who didn’t finish, and many, many thanks to Bellahouston Harriers and all the volunteers for organising, yet another, great event, especially those that kept me going.
It’s great being a runner in Scotland!


No comments:

Post a Comment