Wednesday 20 June 2012

Men's 10k


Pic by Alan Peebles


I joined in with nine Bellahouston Harriers to act as pacers for this year's Men’s Health 10k race.  I had performed the same role last year, supporting runners around the route in 55minutes.  I must have done something right, as this year I was asked to do the 50min slot.  Despite still recovering from my London Marathon experience, I was therefore guaranteed to improve last year's time by five minutes. Not too many can say that.

To be honest, I felt terrible on Sunday morning as I made my way along to meet my fellow pacers.  However with the delayed Start, friendly banter with my running buddies and some much needed coffee, supplied by Claire Couper, by the time the event started, I was feeling a lot better.  

Amongst the many that I chatted with was Irvine's David Millar, who is a regular winner of the Men's Race, although he had been injured of late, I was still confident that he would do well.

As women members of Bellahouston Road Runners led the runners around to their particular starting waves I joined in with Brian Barr to lead those seeking to average 5min/k.  At 10:25am we started downhill, through the fantastic support and turned right towards Bellahouston Leisure Centre, on to the road and up the hill on Bellahouston Ave took us to our 1st k, in a perfect five minutes.



Pic by Kellyann McIsaac

The race was still very crowded as we turned left along Mosspark Boulevard, where Marshals kept us to the left and the crowds cheered us on our way.  We were still on target as we past the 2k mark and were soon turning right and making our way along Dumbreck Road.  As we approached the 3k marker, we could see the leader of the race making his way back, after completing 8k of his race.  Although our start was in the second wave, which meant that he had a start on us, their was no doubting that he was having an impressive run.


We turned left at Haggs Road into Pollok Country Park and away from the supporters.  A number of runners reverted to walking but I weaved through them as I led my band of followers along.  Unfortunately Brian was delayed by the congestion.  I was a few seconds late at the 4k point, so I couldn't wait for him but encouraged those around me to maintain their pace.  "Runners coming through" I shouted a few times and those struggling in front moved to the side.  I congratulated my runners as we reached the 6k mark in a time of 30:00.  Up a wee hill and then down along the first part of the Glasgow parkrun we ran.  We reached the throngs of supporters on Haggs Road but some runners where starting to drop off the pace by the time we reached the 8k mark.  I encouraged them to take on water at the drinks station and maintained my pace back along Dumbreck Road to the Bellahouston Park entrance opposite Nithsdale Road.  We entered the park, with one kilometre to go and the crowds cheered us on our way.  With a few hundred metres to go Brian reappeared and we stood to the side, encouraging our runners to push in for the final strait before we crossed the line in a time of 50:06.  A good job well done.  We congratulated each other and our runners before collecting our medals and goody bags.
Some of our runners had achieved their targets, whilst others just couldn't maintain the pace for the entire race but all where extremely appreciative of our role in assisting them.
The Battle of the Bellas


The race itself was won by a newcomer to the running scene in Scotland, Wegne Tafese, who finished in a time of 30:28. David Millar was runner-up and first MV40 in 32:02 and perhaps the race of the day was between Bellahouston Harrier Tom Mcdonald and his Road Runner rival Kieran Docherty, who both crossed the line in 33:10.  Bellahouston Harriers  won the team event, with Steven Prentice; Crispin Walsh and Tom Lauckner all joining Tom Mcdonald on the rostrum.


All on all a great day out, made all the better by all the organisers and volunteers who had assisted in making the event such a success and all the supporters who cheered us around the course.    


As one runner said to me: "This is great, not only do I get paced by you but I get all your support as well!"




Results

No comments:

Post a Comment