Tuesday 27 December 2011

Turkey Trots....... Mine's a Double!

Despite having stuffed myself with way too much food and cheap plonk at my brother’s on Christmas Day, I didn’t sleep very well on Christmas night as the howling, gale force winds woke me up every two hours or so.  There’s no way that I was going to be able to run a 10k race with these preparations, I thought and checked my training plan, to discover that I had a 5 mile run scheduled.  I could maybe do the Turkey Trot 5k I thought and checked the Start time and the previous results, which revealed that the Start would be at 11:15 and that around 100 runners might be participating.  With my camera packed, so that I could take some photos of the 10k, which followed at noon, I made my way down the M77 to Burns Country.

I was surprised, to see that there were so many 10k runners arriving at the same time as me, including an early turnout from Kilmarnock Harriers.  Club mate Ken Wales informed me that he was also doing the 5k, as were Sarah and Emily Munn and Toni, running her second race in two days.

It was also good to see Douglas Alexander MP participating in the festive frolics.

Take One
I knew that the forecast had been for 25mph winds.  As I warmed up, I soon appreciated just how strong the winds would actually feel.  These were some of the windiest conditions that I had raced in, I thought as I joined the throng of runners on the wind swept esplanade. 

I was a bit surprised that I wasn’t able to stay with Ken Wales as he raced away from me from the very Start.  Toni started cautiously but it wasn’t long until she passed me quipping “you won’t beat me today Ian”.  I was then overtaken by a group of three runners, all dressed in black.  As they too opened up a gap on me, I recalled a previous year, when I was running the 10k, hearing Jimmy Irvine bellowing at me to catch up and run with the group.  I increased the pace and soon settled in with the threesome.  I knew that I could run faster than the pace that they were setting but it seemed like a daft thing to do, when I wasn’t chasing a time and the gap in front to Ken’s group was some 200metres or so.  Better, I thought, to conserve my energy and catch them in the second half.

There were times when had to close one eye and even both eyes, as the sand was blowing into my face.  A cheap way to get an exfoliation, I thought. 

5k pic by Kenny Phillips
We turned around a marshal at 2.5k and thankfully the wind was now behind us.  However I wasn’t the only one who increased the pace.  The pack of three split, when the female in the group (Christine Kling?) made her break, but the other two Chris McDermott, his personal trainer John Docherty and Ken, in front, were not for making it easy for me.  I managed to catch them at 3.3k and, just as I was wondering if I should pass them or not, a surge of wind caught me and I found myself in front of all three. 

I could see how strong Toni was running ahead of me and decided to focus on her, rather than the challenge of Ken behind me.  The woman in black (Christine Kling?) pulled over with a loose lace and then a runner with a GBR vest pulled up.  I was feeling good though and increased the pace with Toni in my sights.  I saw her looking over her shoulders and I knew that I had a chance, with the Ayr supporters screaming at her not to be overtaking by me, I sprinted down the last strait and crossed the line in front of her in 22nd place, with a time of 22:12.

Splits: 4:43; 4:59; 4:35; 4:03; 3:52

Take Two
As I made my way back to the Citadel a number of people asked me if I was doing the 10k , “of course I am” I jokingly responded.  However as the hall emptied, I thought “Why not”, quickly filled in another entry form, pinned on my new race number and ran back to the Start Line just in time for the Off.  I joined in with the 10k runners as we battled against the head wind.  I hadn’t fuelled up for a 10k race, never mind a 10+5k race so I was happy to tuck in behind a slow pack and enjoy the race at a slower pace than normal.
 
The wind and the sand didn’t feel quite as bad the second time round.  As I reached the 2.5k point, Louie Plenderleith appeared over my shoulder and, knowing that I had run the 5k too, said “you’re mad, Ian” as he ran past me. 

The route then turned left, along the river path and gave us some respite from the wind. Another left, past the car showroom and along the road we headed.
Pic by Liz Mcderment
It wasn’t that long until we met the elites, making their way back, led by in form Stuart Gibson.  I applauded Stuart and shouted words of encouragement to the others as I ran along.  It wasn’t long though until a marshal directed me left and back into the wind.  A right turn and as I looked up to acknowledge Connell Drummond’s support, I could see Stuart flying along the esplanade with the wind in his back.
Pic by Andrew Scott
Another right turn took me past the 5k point and I was soon back on the road and heading back.  I was now offering support to the slower runners as they made their way towards the 4k mark.  I caught Louie at around 5.5k.  I was enjoying my race, increasing the pace slightly every kilometre and reeling in other runners as I did. We got the benefit of the wind behind us for the last 3k, or so.

I had another Killie Harrier (Brian McManus) in my sights and managed to catch him at 9k, I managed to get away from him as I completed the final kilometre in less than 4mins, to cross the line in 48:13.  I placed 127 out of 247 finishers and supported a number of other runners completing their final 200metres before heading back to the Citadel to shelter from the wind and enjoy some fine post race banter and an excellent Boxing Day buffet.

Splits: 4:51; 5:32; 5:06; 5:03; 4:55; 4:51; 4:49; 4:41; 4:27; 3:58

I really enjoyed both races and I think that my splits show that I ran quite intelligently.  I received loads of support in both races and in particular the 10k where Connell Drummond and Ken Wales kept popping up to offer me words of encouragement.  Huge thanks from me to my fellow runners, the marshals and the photographers who all helped for a great couple of races.

Races 66 and 67 in the bag, mine’s a double!

Results


Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment