Monday 13 June 2011

Vale of Leven the fourth and final Polaroid 10k


This was my fifth running of the Vale of Leven 10k and it was at least the fourth different course. When I first ran it in 2000, the route started in Alexandria but more recently it has been moved to Loch Lomond shores, where bad weather has effected the Start line a couple of times. This year the route was changed significantly with a section along the river cycle path being added at the 6k point. However no matter what the route is, I always find it the hardest of the four. In the old days, I used to run them under the Ferranti club name with my good friend Mike Gordon. I’d beat him in the other three but he’d always beat me at the Vale.

I’d had a look back at my previous times which were:

2000 - 45:58
2001 - 48:14
2003 – 46:40
2005 – 46:51  

so I knew that a course PB was on the cards.

Pre Race
I had a quiet night in on Saturday reading up and watching videos of the great Nat Muir and George Braidwood. Both, I discovered, are actually a year younger than me but no longer run competitively. I always find that a bit hard to fathom, although Nat’s ‘later’ years were blighted by injury. I think they both last raced in 1992.

I had a bit of an upset stomach on Sunday morning but, apart from numerous visits to the lavatory, I was feeling mentally and physically up for a good race. I arrived at Loch Lomond Shores in plenty of time for pre race chatting and warm up and, after a couple of more visits to the toilet, I lined up near this year’s Start line.

Race
At 10:03am we were set on our way, over the blue chip mats, and along Balloch Road. A sharp left turn took us into the local park, where the road gradually climbed to about 80m. I looked at my Garmin at the 1k mark, only to discover that it had switched itself to sleep mode at the slightly delayed Start. A quick press of the buttons and I had it functioning again. I was already having to battle with negative thoughts and there was another half mile to climb before the route turned right along a country road. Garmin revealed that this kilometre had taken me 4:55 to complete. However the marshals then directed us down Mollandbowie Road and the next kilometre was all downhill, taken 4:04 to complete. Another right turn and we were back on Balloch Road – called Drymen Road at this point- and heading back towards the park. This time we turned left and along Carrochan Road and over the round-about, this kilometre had taken me 4:17. Further on the route veered to the right and along the A813 - Main Street. I was feeling tired and could only watch as Brian Barr overtook me, my pace dropped to 4:29. Pushed by Maria Dye, I manage to pick it up the pace slightly, taken 4:21 for the next kilometre. However there was nothing I could to stop Iain Burke passing me, just as we reached Bonhill Bridge. We turned right, over the bridge and then were directed along the scenic cycle path next to the River Leven. I knew I was struggling in the sunshine but Iain in front and Marie on my shoulder kept me going, taken 4:25 for the next kilometre. I had totally forgotten about the water station, so it was a pleasant surprise to get the opportunity to cool myself down a little further on. I felt a bit fresher now but it didn’t last long and I eventually let Marie pass me – followed by Tom McMillan, as my pace dropped to 4:31.


When the route left the river and took us back onto Balloch Road, I was really struggling and Garmin revealed that my last kilometre had taken me 4:39. I wasn’t sure how far we had run. I saw a yellow sign ahead but when it came into sight it read 4k and I assumed that I must have run along this route earlier on. I was pleased that the next sign said 9k although I didn’t have much more to give. All of a sudden I heard a loud cry of “C’mon Ian” and looked up to see Annette Whalen screaming support at me. It hard the desired effect and I managed to increase the pace to 4:10 for the last kilometre. I crossed the line shattered and after being relieved of my chip timer and collecting my goody bag, congratulated Iain, Brian and Tom for their performances.

Jammy Me with Jammy  Jo and Jammy Mo.. pic by Sarah Whalen
Post Race
After further post race chatting, I got lost trying to find the car park and was rescued by Jammy Mo and Jammy Jo, before meeting Sarah and Annette Whalen. Once back at the car, I had a warm down and my post race recovery drink before heading back to Glasgow.


Result
I was pleasantly surprised to receive a text advising me that my chip time was 43:46 and my gun time 43:58. Furthermore I had placed 171st, the highest position that I’ve ever finished in any of the Polaroid Races and I had my new Vale of Leven PB by well over two minutes. I went back to bed feeling shattered but remembering why I love to race so much.

Huge thanks to everyone associated with the Polaroid Series and to everyone I had the pleasure of chatting with before and/or after each of the races.

Full Results

No comments:

Post a Comment