Monday 27 June 2011

Brian Goodwin 10k - Early in the evenin' just about supper time



Friday evening was the Bellahouston Harriers’ Brian Goodwin Memorial Race and I headed along to Cartha Queens Park Rugby Club in plenty of time to get ready and warm up, oh and of course to chat with my running buddies.  There was a decent turnout of 167 runners, made up, primarily, of club runners and Glasgow parkrun regulars.  Birthday boy, John Gilhooly was stepping up from 5k for his first 10k, Clare MacAulay was doing her second one, after her recent outing at the Dick Wedlock, whilst I was running my 63rd

I donned my Kilmarnock Harriers Club Vest for the second time in three days and took my place among the runners assembled on Currie Place.  At 7:28pm, Iain Burke sent us on our way south, towards Dumbreck Stables.

There was a touch of déjà vu, as I watched David Boyle and Keith Gibb dart away with the leading pack.  I adopted, what I hoped would be, a more sensible approach and completed the first kilometre in 4:09.  Past experience tells me that my Garmin always loses its satellite reception along this part of Pollok Park, so I couldn’t rely on my watch for accurate splits tonight.  I was happy enough running along with Erica Christie, who tends to run at a steady pace, no doubt the result of running all those marathons.  However my pace dropped after the first mile, when we reached Pollok House and turned left, up the slight hill.  I was feeling tired after Wednesday’s run and the negative thoughts were kicking in telling me to drop out at the end of the first lap.  However although a few people had overtaken me, I knew that there were some decent runners, including Clare and Jim McMillan, behind me somewhere.  The support from the marshals and supporters helped me bin the negative thoughts and, instead of packing it in, I grabbed a little water, wet my lips and as usual poured the rest over me. 

Having banished the blues I was now intent in having a good second lap.  I knew that David Boyle was a good distance and a dozen places ahead of me and, once again, set out with the aim of reducing the gap as much as possible.  As we reached the ‘white house’ I caught two runners and overtook them on the bend.  I managed to make up another couple of places as I ran through the park, towards Pollokshaws Road.  I thought I was doing well but I could hear footsteps behind me, I then saw someone out of the corner of my left eye and heard someone talking to me.  I didn’t say anything in return but responded by stepping up the pace and leaving them behind.  My plan was to overtake people not to be overtaken! 
Taxi for Goudie !    pic by William McAllister

I ran much of the rest of the race on the road, thus avoiding the undulating pavements and threat from overhanging branches.  On Dumbreck Road, I could see David way in front and looking strong.  I had to battle hard to overtake Kilbarchan’s Elaine Muirhead and I wasn’t sure if I would be able to keep up the pace to the Finish line, which was still a kilometre away.  I managed to catch another three runners on Dumbreck Road but much to my exasperation, there was nothing that I could do to stop one of them returning the favour.  I lapped Tommy fae Greenock, as I turned left back onto Currie Place before another left took me over the Finish line, in 67th place, with a time of 43:34.

I collected my composure as I turned to see Elaine Muirhead cross the line next, in a time of 43:44, followed by Ewan McDonald – aha that’s who tried to talk to me- in 43:51, the two guys that I had caught near the end (Chris Shields and Iain Todd) and then Clare with a time of 44:04, Tony McGale in 44:11.  Not much further down the field were the Kilbarchan pairing of Jim McMillan and Catherine Stewart, who both finished in 44:34 and Bellahouston Road Runners Louise Gray and Susanne Farrell in 44:50 and 44:51 respectively.  
Wallace Gray was also one second behind his PB setting wife.  Tom Keenan maintained his continual improvement, finishing in an SB of 45:36, one place behind of his fellow Bellahouston Harrier William McAllister, who finished with a time of 45:29.

I collected my goody bag, which included a £6 runner’s belt, before doing my warm down and heading in for a shower.  A free barbecued burger was washed down with a pint of Guinness during the post race chat with old and new friends.
Post Race Banter with Dumbarton's Charlene Kelly and Lynsey McNicol

As usual there was a mixture of those that had run well and were happy and those that were disappointed by their performances.  I was happy with my second lap and with my overall time.

After the prize giving, which included the top three guys: Robert Gilroy; Jamie Reid and John MacNamara, all of Ronhill Cambuslang and the three top gals: Jacqui Thomson; Laura Murray and Suzanne McMahon as well as a plethora of other runners, I headed along to Samuel Dow’s for a few more beers and to listen to the music provided by Creedence Clearwater Revival  cover band, Willie and the Poor Boys.


No comments:

Post a Comment