Tuesday 14 December 2010

Bellahouston Harriers Handicap, Mulled Wine and Mince Pies

My friends at Bellahouston Harriers had 'kindly' invited me along to participate in their Club Christmas Two Mile Handicap for my second race of the weekend and my 59th of the year. Although the race started at 13:30, there was still plenty of ice and frost on the road through Pollok Park and the organisers decided on a 3k route instead of the usual course. They did however fail to mention the new distance to competitors.  My handicap, provided by Brian Douglas and Mathew Brown, was based on my best Glasgow parkrun time and, as expected, I was put in the same group as Bernie O’Neil and Erica Christie and joined by Howie Scott. We must have been one of the largest groups, as the runners before us were set off individually and then in groups of two or three.


Approaching the Finish
When our time came, we were set off along the icy road. I was surprised to establish an early lead and leave the others behind. Given that it was part of their Club Winter Championship and only a ‘fun run’ for me, I was expecting fierce competition from Erica and Bernie, with Howie being an unknown quantity to me. I thought perhaps that I had set off too quickly and would make a fool of myself when the others caught me later on. However Garmin informed me that I had ran the first kilometre in 4mins dead. After this I started to see some of the earlier leavers coming towards me in the ‘out and back’ course. I slowed down as I approached the turning point and managed to turn around without falling. I was now heading back and was surprised to see that the next person behind me wasn’t Bernie or Erica, or even Howie but was ‘Graham’ who must have set off in the group behind us! Perhaps the others had showed the conditions too much respect.

Shortly after the turn, I managed to catch John Softley and was content to have gained one place. I could see young Kristina Greig but she was a good bit in front of me. The second kilometre had taken 4:14. All the time I could hear Graham behind me, so I wasn’t surprised in the slightest when he passed me. Although he was clearly running well, I did manage to slip in behind him and increase my pace a bit. I had now gained one place but also lost one. The gap between Kristina and I had now narrowed and as we turned left and ran downhill between the horse fields I managed to catch her. I had gained another place. I wasn’t sure if Kristina had responded or not but I pushed in hard up the wee hill and turned right into the final strait. There was still a bit to go but I held on to cross the line in an acceptable time of 11:54.

Fellow guest runner, Luke Traynor ran the fastest time and Suzanne McMahon was the fastest woman and best baker. (Full results to follow)

A quick wash and stretch and I was in the bar enjoying the post race banter, mulled wine and mince pies before picking up a bottle of Green and Blacks Organic Red Wine for my efforts and heading homeward through the icy fog.

Huge thanks to everyone involved in the event for a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment