Monday 11 October 2010

Thanks for your Support at the West District Cross Country Relay Race

I headed up to Rouken Glen Park for my first ever race in that particular park and my first run since Tuesday, the West District Cross Country Relay Race.

I was assigned the fourth ‘glory’ leg for Kilmarnock Harriers men’s C team, which afforded me plenty of time to watch the women’s race and chat with my racing buddies before my run. Several of the women that had completed their race recommended running in spikes. I hadn’t brought mine though and although I thought about dashing home for them I was fearful that they might start the fourth leg runners before the third leg runners had completed their runs. Killie Harrier Cammy Wilson, who had run the first leg, kindly, offered me his red Puma spikes size 12. After a trial run/warm up with Cammy’s spikes I made my way over to the change-over area.

Working Hard
I had been advised that the route was two laps, had a wee hill near the start, a couple of tight bends and some muddy sections to negotiate. After completing his leg, a shattered Peter Rudzinski came over to the penned in runners and advised us not to use all our energy in the first lap. After a while I saw Kenny Wales, who was running the third leg for the C team approaching the finish and made my way to the start. As I set off a Westerland runner completed his first lap and I tagged on behind him. The field is always spread out by the time it gets to the fourth leg of a relay and it was good to have another runner to follow, even though he was obviously a lot faster than me. A group of Bellahouston Road Runners shouted their support and then some Calderglen runners, as I made my way up the hill. It wasn’t long until he had left me behind and as I made my way around the course I was overtaken by two or three other runners, including Alistair Kell who looked to be having a great run. I was pleasantly surprised to see Stuart McBeath marshalling and he voiced his support as I encountered the first tight bend of the day. The first kilometre had taken me 4:34. The second kilometre headed up towards the pavilion and past the massed crowds to the end of the first lap. There were loads of people shouting my name and their support kept me working hard. The second kilometre had taken 4:33. I was now running on my own and I must have slowed down as I ran up the hill, however I increased the pace on the way down and was ‘speeding’ along when I heard the marshals shouting. I looked up to see a woman with her head down and a mobile phone to her ear standing right in the middle of the path. Crash, bang, wallop! I ran right into her, spun round and continued my run. The third kilometre had taken me 5:00. I increased the pace as I ran towards the pavilion and the crowds really helped me as I gave it my all for the final kilometre. The fourth kilometre had taken 4:33 and I had finished in a total time of 18:40. I was shattered and had a bit of a rest before heading back towards the rest of the Kilmarnock teams.

The C team had taken a total time of 72:07 with Al Murray running the first leg in 17:28; Harald Bartl the second leg in 16:59; Kenny Wales the third leg in 19:00 and my 18:40 to place 48th out of 53.

The B team had taken 66:58: Grant Beattie 15:51; Leslie McDerment 16:20; William Duffy 17:26 and Graham Cairns 17:21 to place 36th.

The A team had taken 62:18: Cammy Wilson 15:17; Ross Connelly 15:24; Connell Drummond 16:08 and Scott Martin 15:29 to place 20th.


Women’s race

Kilmarnock had two teams of three participating in the Women’s race. The A team placing 9th out of 26, with a combined time of 54:36: Kara Tait 16:33; Paula Wilson 18:08 and Laura Haggarty 19:55. The B team consisted of Liz McDerment; Lorna Sloan and Karen Quinn.

Full Results

Kenny Phillips Photos (will be here)

No comments:

Post a Comment