Monday 7 October 2013

Great Scottish Pacing

Pacers at the ready!
Despite having a torn calf muscle, I agreed to one again act as a pacer for this year's Great Scottish Run Half Marahon.  I was confident that a week away from running would be enough to heal the muscle and I maintained some level of fitness by cycling 100k during the week.  However it wasn't ideal preparation for  a Half Marathon, as I'd hoped to get a few more 16mile runs prior to the race.  Despite my break from running, I'd been feeling and looking tired during the last two weeks to such an extent that I had to take Thursday off sick.  I'd already booked Friday off on annual leave and with a restful Saturday, I was hoping to be OK to run on Sunday.

After registering and collecting our brightly coloured t-shirts, balloons and pacer signs, I joined in with some other pacers and thousands of others on the short walk from Glasgow Green to George Square for the Start of the race.  I was pacing 2hours this year, which meant that I was in the Green Wave, which was scheduled to set off at 11:10.  However there had been some 'issues on the route' which meant that the race would be delayed by 15mins, which I spent giving advice to the enthusiastic runners assembled around me on how best to achieve their goals.  I advised them that I'd be running at constant effort and that over the course we would average 9min/miles, which would take us 1:58 to complete the 13.1 miles.

One of the hardest parts of the course is at the beginning, which takes us up St Vincent Street and over into Finnieston.  This is a nightmare for pacers as the runners are either full of adrenaline and enthusiasm and edged on by the large number of supporters dash off too quick or they struggle with the steep incline, or a combination of both.  

From Finnieston we run over the Kingston Bridge, which is usually preserved for motor vehicles only, past Scotland Street School and through Kinning Park.  By this point my pacing partner was commenting on how hot it was and the humidity was taking its toll on me.  Despite the fact we'd only ran 5k, I was glad to see the water station and to have a drink before pouring the rest of the bottle over my head to cool me down.  There was still 10miles to go and I was starting to struggle! 

We urned into Paisley Road West and soon we caught sight of the elite and club runners who were making their way along the other side of the road.  Exchanging shouts of support with so many running buddies and friends helped peck me up and I shared my positive strength with those around me as I encouraged them along the new route, which took us along Dumbreck Road and Mosspark Boulevard, through Bellahouston Park, past the Palace of Art Centre of Sport Excellence and back onto Paisley Road West.  With Ibrox Stadium on our left hand side, it was our turn to exchange support with the slower runners who were making their way along towards Bellahouston Park.  By this time I'd given up on trying to reel in my pacing partner, whose youthful exuberance and lack of experience resulted in her running way too fast.

We turned left onto Govan Road as the rain came on, around the outside of Festival Park to Pacific Quay.  I was still meeting new people, answering their questions and lending support along the way.  Over the squinty bridge aka the Glasgow Ark and leftwards along Finnieston Quay we ran, joining Stobcross Road and towards the new Riverside Museum.  Although I was well below par, I was still enjoying the run. Unfortunately the race was taking it's toll on a few runners and the sight of people lying at the side of the road being treated by medical personnel brought back unhappy memories. 
I gave advice to those around me as we climbed up the hills before and after the new, award winning, Museum.  I knew that this year's course was now a straight flat run back to Glasgow Green and I had to show real discipline not to increase my pace, especially with the crowds edging us on as we reached the Broomilaw and the final few kilometres.  We exchanged 'Hi Fives' with Des Clarke as we ran past the Daily Record building to our final mile. 

The crowds grew as we approached the Green, with many friends amongst them shouting us on.  I crossed the Finishing Line to be met with the familiar face of race commentator and fellow runner Bryan Burnett.  Brian declared to all that "Ian Goudie has now finished after pacing the 2 hour runners, how good a job did he do finishing in a time of 1:59!"  Job done.

I handed in my chip, collected my Goody Bag and made my way to the Baggage Area before meeting up with some of my fellow pacers in the Marshal's Tent where after chatting and a bite to eat, I made my way home to a cold bath and hot bed, happy that I'd played my small part in making the event such a major success.

Congratulations to everyone who ran, marshaled, volunteered or supported the event, there were some great performances from Haile Gebrselassie, who ran the fastest ever Half Marathon in Scotland, and Susan Partridge, who won the Women's Race,  but also throughout the field with a number of people telling me that I had helped them get a PB.  It's just a shame that it clashed with the Neil McCover Half.

For the record my chip time was 1:57:10.


No comments:

Post a Comment