Tuesday 27 March 2012

Diagnosis: Plantar Fasciitis

It would appear that my running has resulted in the degeneration of the collagen fibres close to the attachment to the calcaneus (heel bone).  Apparently this is a common condition for runners, especially those of us who overpronate.

The problem is that if I continue to run on my painful foot I will aggravate the injury and increase the inflammation.

  I've had a sports massage to reduce the tension in the plantar fascia and also to stretch the calf muscles and I've been advised to apply ice to help reduce the pain and inflammation. I've also been given a range of Plantar Fasciitis exercises to do to help treat the problem.  The main issue is that I'm unlikely to be able to run on it for a while, as even  walking or standing on the foot can apparently stop the inflamed tissue from healing. However on a positive note I can still do some gentle cycling and swimming too.  Hopefully such cross training will keep me ticking over and my foot will recover in time for the Marathon. I guess only time will tell, in the meantime I'm going to put a can of soup in the freezer....

No comments:

Post a Comment