Monday 16 February 2015

Mucho Mass Bellas as Bernie Bolts to Victory

Some of the 49 Bella Harriers at Pollok parkrun
Jack Arnold
As luck would have it both Bellahouston running clubs had a 'mass' parkrun at Pollok Park on Saturday. The 49 Harriers and 24 Road Runners, helped to squell the ranks to 451 participants, one of the largest ever. 

 Whilst there were no records broken, there were some decent runs in both the men's and women's races. Cambuslang's Gordon Robertson crossed the line first, with a time of 16:24, ahead of Bellahouston Harrier Jack Arnold in 16:37 and Bella Road Runner Ciaran Dougherty in 17:00.

Bernie O'neil






In the women's race, it was a clean sweep for the Harriers, who not only placed 1,2, 3 but also 4,5,and 6 as well. Bernie O'neil led the female Harriers home with a huge PB of 20:21, just ahead of Jennifer Clark (also 20:21), Susan MacRitchie (20:40) placed 3rd, Erica Christie (21:26) 4th, Caroline Cochran (21:43) 5th and Janine Dickie 6th with a PB of 21:49.

For my part, I wan't feeling great and had set myself the task of having a steady run, however when Erica Christie overtook me, I immediately increased the pace and returned the compliment, we played leap frog a total of four times before Erica broke away at the 4k point. My strong finish just wasn't quite good enough to catch her for the fifth time and she crossed the line one place and one second ahead of me.  I was happy enough to place 71st in 21:47, my second fastest time since May 2011 and my eighth fastest time, out of 115 at Pollok.  I also managed a rare victory over Road Runner Keith Gibb for only the fourth time this decade¬
Erica in hot pursuit 
Once again many thanks to all my fellow runners and the volunteers too for making my Saturday morning run a little more fun. A special mention to Bellahouston Harrier Christopher Steward who completed his century of parkruns on Saturday and Dan Maher who ran his 250th!


Full Results Here

Pics by Brian Douglas

No comments:

Post a Comment