Monday 10 June 2013

My 120th parkrun

My midweek run was slow and sluggish and I guessed that an easy week was due, so I had no intention of racing at all this weekend, with the Men's Health and the Brian Goodwin 10k races on the horizon.  However just as I was ready to go for an easy run in the early morning sunshine, I decided to make the trip to Strathclyde park to get the last race of my 55th year. I know, I know... but, to be honest, I hadn't expected to be still running at this age, especially as my two elder brothers had died at 49 years old.

A short drive to Motherwell and I was greeted with loads of "welcome back" messages from various running buddies and friends.  It was a pleasant surprise to see that Clare Barr and Claire Thompson had both also decided to make a rare outing at Strathclyde parkrun.  Some 183 runners had been attracted to the scenic, loch side, race in the morning sun, including Elspeth Curran from Kilbarchan and a sprinkling of youngsters from Inverclyde AC.  

120 not out! Post Race Pic by Claire Thompson
I hadn't realised that it had been so long since I had ran this race but my records reveal that it was way back in March 2012, when the event was celebrating its centenary.  As it happens this was my 120th parkrun and my 12th at Strathclyde.  You would have thought that with such experience I would know how to race but I started with youthful exuberance before common sense kicked in and I slowed down a bit.  My 1st kilometre was completed in 4:12, which would have been OK, if I was fully fit.  My target today was to get under 24mins. Last week's time at Pollok Park being 24:25 and the previous Tollcross one being 25:18.  I quickly worked out that if I could keep every kilometre below the 5min mark, I should be able to achieve my target.

Even with my slowed down pace, I was able to overtake runners as the blazing hot sunshine took its toll on then.  It also took its toll on me and I had to work hard, both physically and mentally as I completed the 5k.  The last k, in particular seemed as if it would never end but I managed a wee sprint over the line to finish with a highly satisfactory 23:05 on my watch (official time 23:07).  I placed 56 out of 183.

I congratulated the runner behind me and took a few minutes after handing in my token to recover my breadth before joining the other runners for post race chatting and a warm down.

I was well chuffed with my time, sure I had worked hard and it wasn't a great time but it was well within my goal and it meant that I could rest and enjoy the sunshine for the rest of the day before going out in the evening for birthday celebrations.

Race results
Golden Girl - Claire Thompson
The race was blown away with a fantastic performance by 13year old Ryan Gray of Inverclyde,  Kirkintilloch's Howard Elliot had ran a PB of 16:49 but this wasn't good enough to catch the youngster who timed 16:47.  Early leader Elspeth Curran, placed first woman and third overall but hadn't brought her barcode, which allowed Robert Souter to claim 3rd, with a PB of 7:05.  First women was awarded to Claire Thompsom, who achieved her target of a sub 20min run, finishing in 19:57.  Continuing her comeback, Clare Barr won Silver, with her time of  21:26 being almost one minute quicker than her previous outing, three weeks ago.  Penny Mitchell took an impressive 75seconds off of her PB to place 3rd female, also on 21:26.

Full results

Thanks to everyone for all your lovely birthday wishes :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment