Monday 8 October 2012

Back in Scotland: Racing and Taking Photos.


Back home to cold but sunny Scotland and back to running, following an easy run on Thursday, I took in the Glasgow parkrun on Saturday morning.  Starting beside Club mates John Softley and Robert Carson, my aim was simply to get my 98th Glasgow parkrun under my belt.  

Most of the Bellahouston Harrier regular parkrunners were however absent as the event clashed with the Club’s Annual Training Weekend.  As the race settled down, I started to work a wee bit harder with the aim of placing first Bella Harrier.  I was happy enough to place 101st in a time of 23:16 but it wasn’t good enough as the results show that a Bellahouston Harrier called Sean Botha ran a PB to place 82nd with a time of 22:31, leaving me second best.  Amongst those earning a PB in the autumn sunshine was Mary Fraser who smashed the 27minute barrier for the first time, completing the undulating 5k course in a time of 26:51.

Carole Setchell in the MacAndrew Relay

In the afternoon, I drove over to Jordanhill to give my new lens a wee test in taking some photos of the MacAndrew Road Relay Races.  There were a few runners in Bella vests that I didn’t recognise but there were also some weel kent faces too, not least of all John Softley and Derek Shand who had both participated in the morning’s parkrun.





3k Finish - pic by Karen Craig


After my recent travels it was good to catch up with my buddies in Sammy Dows, although I think I may have had a little too much to drink.  However I was up bright and early and on my way to East Dunbartonshire to take part in the 3k race and take some pics of the Half Marathon runners as they commemorated the life of local policeman and Kirkintilloch Olympian Neil McCover.  The race also includes the British Masters Championship and the Neil McCover Cup for the first police person. 

Although most of the 3k runners were youngsters, again I was happy enough with my performance, placing 14th out of 50 with a time of 12:02. 

Scott and Cammy
It was good to see so many old and a few new running buddies and to capture some of them with the camera.  I shouldn’t really have been surprised to see John Softley running in the Half and it was particularly good to get the chance to chat with some Kirkintilloch Olympians and Kilmarnock prize wining pair, Scott Martin and Cammy Wilson.


Photos (to follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment