Saturday 25 August 2012

Old Friends at my 111th parkrun


After my canter along the canal on Wednesday, I had a couple of days away from running opting for a core/strength session in the gym on Thursday lunchtime topped up with a 20k+ cycle in the evening.  Friday was my ‘rest’ day and I settled for some retail therapy.  Although I popped out for a couple of pints in the evening I wasn’t really in the mood for a drink, I seldom am if I haven’t been training.  With three hard weeks of training this was supposed to be my easy week and I decided to combine an easy training run with my 111th parkrun, my 96th at Glasgow. 

After my warm up and pre race chatting, I lined up with some 342 other runners for the 9:30am Start.  The 1st kilometre took me 4:22.  I spied Tom Halliday passing me, I hadn’t seen him for ages and wished him well.  He came over and we ran together for a while as he told me about his injuries, which have restrained his racing this year before continuing his race.  Despite the absence of many of the Bellahouston runners, many of which were running in the Paisley 10k on Sunday, there were still a few runners that I could have raced against but I decided to keep to my ‘training run’ and the second k took me 4:44.  Club mate Angela Campbell overtook me at this point and I decided to stick in behind her, I attacked the wee hill, overtaking Angela in the process but the 3rd still took me 4:47 to complete.  I could just about see Tom, Martin Myant and Emma Blair in front of me but they must have been about 300m in front.  I was initially thought that there was no way that I could catch them with about one mile remaining but then switched to a positive frame of mind and started chasing after them.  The 4th k had taken 4:44 but I was up for racing the last kilometre.  With about 300m to go, I caught Tom, who shouted “It’s yours Ian, go for it!.”  I then caught a young lass with a Scotland West vest on but she wasn’t for letting me beat her easily and I had to give it my all in the final 200m to beat her. We managed to overtake another two runners in the final strait and I also further closed the gap on Martin and Emma.

I crossed the line in 84th place in a time of 22:54, a final k of 4:13.  In a reversal of the positions at the recent Bella Belter, it was Martin that took the honours placing 82nd in  22:47, with Emma 83rd (7th female) in 22:48.  The young lass, who turned out to be a Kilmarnock Harrier from Stewarton, Amanda Hughes placed 85th in 22:55, with Tom placing 88th in 23:04.  We all exchanged mutual congratulations before heading to the queue to hand in our race position tokens.  I had worked a lot harder that I had planned but I had still enjoyed my run. 

Nadia
You’re Ian Goudie, I’ve been looking out for you” said the volunteer who took my token and I knew straight away that, although we hadn’t seen each other for some 38years, it was my old class mate Nadia Toni (now Cowan) from Stewarton.  After my warm down we went to the Burrell to catch up on old times over a coffee, with Nadia’s daughter and some of my running buddies.  Not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning.

First Bella
A look at the full results reveal that for the second race in a row, the other being the Canal Canter, I had placed first Bellahouston Harrier, now that’s something that won't happen very often.

Full Results

No comments:

Post a Comment