Monday 16 April 2012

London Marathon ....Final Countown....

Final Fortnight
My sister who died of MND
The Final Fortnight of London Marathon training has gone to plan. Last Sunday’s 12.5mile run was rewarded on Monday by a rest day but on Tuesday it was back to speed work doing 1mile jog, 10x400m @5k pace and 1mile jog. I was a bit worried that my hamstring might be a problem but there was no cause for concern and I was happy with my session. I was a bit tight for time on Wednesday lunch time, so I settled for 30mins on the power plate at the gym and saved my 6mile run for the evening. Thursday was another evening run with 3miles at Half Marathon pace, sandwiched between 1mile jogs. There seemed to be a lot of runners, particularly female ones, out and about in the South Side of Glasgow, presumably in training for the forthcoming Women’s 10k race.


parkrun 104
Whilst Friday was another rest day, I still rewarded myself by having a few drinks in Sammy Dow’s in the evening. Some bad company resulted in me doing my 104th parkrun in the morning slightly worse for wear. I decided not to risk the drive to Strathclyde Park, where they were celebrating their second birthday, opting for my 89th running of the Pollok Park event instead. My 3mile easy 27mile run ended up being a 5k in 25:03 but no less enjoyable for that. I like to take the time to encourage other runners and thank the marshals for their support, when I am not running flat out.

Results

It was good to chat with some fellow London Marathoners before and after the race, to make some new running buddies and to reconnect with a few old friends too. Some strong coffee and good banter was in order at the Burrell Café before making my way home for a quiet day watching the football and rugby.

Sunday Run
A beautiful Spring Sunday morning and I made my way back to Pollok Park. Mine is usually the only car parked at the local rugby club but there was a woman’s rugby tournament taking place and I was lucky to get a parking place at all. My start was a little delayed as I chatted with Bellahouston Harrier, Ian MacLeod who had just finished his run before I dragged my second day hangover around Pollok and Bellahouston Parks. My Sunday schedule was 10 ‘steady’ miles, which my plan told me means 8:30min/miles. I enjoyed my run and, as usual, saw a few other runners too, including David Mooney and Julie Docherty who were doing a crazy 24mile run!

Just under 85mins later, I warmed down around Cartha Queens Park Rugby playing fields taking in some of the Women’s Rugby before making my way home through the large travelling Hearts support on their way to a successful Hampden Semi Final.

My foot started to hurt after about 55mins and I felt a few niggles too but nothing serious. I’m now looking forward to my London Marathon.

Final Week
Monday’s another rest day, Tuesday 1M jog then 12 x 200m at 5K speed (or 45secs) with 200m (or 1-min) jog recoveries then 1M jog; Wednesday 4M easy (approx 36 mins) with 5 marathon pace 100m strides; Thursday 3M easy (approx 27 mins) with 4 marathon pace 100m strides; Friday: Rest, Saturday 2M easy (approx 18 mins) with 3 marathon pace 100m strides and Sunday….hmm Sunday must be on the next week’s training plan..

Not long now…..I wonder what the weather will be like.


Sponsor
If you enjoy reading my blog and haven’t sponsored me yet then why not think about sponsoring me now, it’s for a good cause. My Justgiving page

1 comment: