Thursday 17 November 2011

Old Target Met, New Challenges Set

2011 in 2011
I ran my 2011th kilometre today as part of a 5k ‘recovery’ run, thereby achieving one of my goals for the year 2011, with plenty of time to spare.


Gie's a Joab
I also took up a new post today, having successfully interviewed for the position of Sector Development Manager – Aerospace, Defence and Marine Construction at Skills Development Scotland (SDS) the day before I left to go to Thailand. These are industry sectors that I know well, having worked in the Aerospace and Defence Sector and more recently Project Managed Construction Glasgow. For many years I’ve researched, lobbied and campaigned for employers to invest in the skills of their workforce to drive innovation and productivity. My new role should enable me to work with partners to develop the necessary learning and training opportunities to support individuals in gaining the skills that employers require, both now and in the future. In the current economic climate it may be a bit of a challenge but it’s one that I’m looking forward to. However I’m now located in the organisation's Head Office at Alambra House, Waterloo Street which, unfortunately, neither has a gym nor shower facilities.  I had both at my previous place.

London Calling
The other news, which I received through the post the day I was leaving for Thailand, was that I had been successful in the ballot for places for the 2012 London Marathon. I’d heard just how difficult it can be to get a place so was more than a little surprised to get a place at my first attempt.

I ran the first Edinburgh Marathon in 1983 with only four weeks of training, although you won’t find my name amongst the records. My good friend William McFall had entered the race but had died, following an accident whilst in Spain, where he was representing Scotland in the National Water Polo team. As a way of saying goodbye to Willie, I kept his marathon number and ran under his name.

It was in the days before electronic chipping devices and high tech running shoes, socks and vests. I don’t think I even had a watch, never mind a fancy Garmin and I recall it seemed to take ages for me to actually cross the Start line in Hollyrood Park. I think the route took us along the Grassmarket, down on to Princes Street and down into Leith where we headed along to Cramond where we turned around and headed back towards Leith and then up Easter Road to the Grandstand Finish in Meadowbank Stadium. I was delighted when two days later the Scotsman published the results and William McFall had finished with a time of 3:26:12. I later gave the medal to Willie’s fiancée but kept the memories and the photo of me sprinting across the line.

With a little more training, I ran the Glasgow Marathon in 2000 and missed my four hour target. I did train well for the 2008 Edinburgh Marathon and even managed to get a free place from the organisers to mark the 25th anniversary of Willie’s death. However the weather was against me and the heat coupled with my Chronic Fatigue resulted in me collapsing and spending an hour on a drip before convincing the medics that I was ok to complete the final six miles or so. My chip time was 4:43:04.

More recently I had won a free place for the Loch Ness Marathon but with my previous experiences and my Chronic Fatigue, I bottled it. Despite following Hal Higdon’s Marathon Training Schedule and enjoying the training the prospect of collapsing again played heavily on my mind and I decided to give the race a miss.

Hopefully I’ve recovered from my Chronic Fatigue and feel in a stronger frame of mind to undertake a new running challenge. I’ve uploaded an 18 week training plan onto Fetcheveryone aimed at getting a 3:30 time, although it’s early days. I officially commence my VLM training on 18th December, to keep me focussed I’ve decided to seek sponsorship for the race and I’ve selected MND Scotland as my chosen charity.

Mind my Sister
My younger sister, who won a number of medals for running, died of Motor Neurone Disease and MND Scotland supports both sufferers and their carers, if you would like to make a donation then please do so here

No comments:

Post a Comment