Wednesday 7 September 2011

Glasgow Races, Golden Mo and my 81st parkrun.

Bryan Stevens
My injured knee curtailed the final couple of weeks training prior to my target race, the Great Scottish Run Half Marathon, or as I prefer to call it ‘the Glasgow Half’. Every other city lends its name to the local race but not Glasgow which has to put on an event for the whole of Scotland. Although I don’t think that geographic profile of participants would reflect this. Most runners do tend to come from the west of Scotland. Gripe over.


I had been testing my knee by running on flat surfaces, around Crossmyloof and on the treadmill. I had built up the distance gradually as the pain and stiffness decreased and my confidence increased, to the point where I had run 10k on Thursday 1st Sept. I also cycled, swam and did some core work on Thursday, knowing that Friday would be a ‘rest’ day. I’ve swum more this year than ever before and have been working on my technique, with one eye on doing an entry level triathlon some time in the future.

Unfortunately I slipped and hurt my back on Friday. Not as the result of any alcohol but due to the combination of leather soles and wet pavements. I didn’t feel that my knee was up to a 13.1 mile race, never mind my back, so I decided to run the Glasgow parkrun 5k instead.

The route, with all its turns and hills, would be a good test. I wasn’t going to be able to get a great time, so I decided that I would do an experiment by trying to maintain my work-rate, rather than pace. It was strange not picking off runners as I made my way around the two lap course but it was a worthwhile exercise and I felt strong and confident enough to increase the work-rate a little on the final strait and catch a couple of youngsters. I know, I know but it was good for the confidence! I was happy enough with my time of 23:15 and 49th place. Whilst Sunday’s races had obviously decreased the quantity and quality of the parkrun, there were still some 161 runners.  This was my 52nd race of the year and my 81st parkrun.

Full Results


The Glasgow Races
Out in Front - Luke Traynor

GSR 10ks

Elspeth Curran
I hobbled along to the corner of Maxwell Road and the A77 in plenty of time to catch the first runners at around the 7k point of the 10k race. The first athlete was Bryan Stevens in the wheel chair event, closely followed by Luke Traynor - the lead car indicating a tremendous time of 25:03 for the Giffnock teenager. Next was Cambuslang’s Robert Gilroy, closely followed by Shettleston’s Michael Deason, Cambuslang’s Stewart Orr and then Kilmarnock’s Roger McNaughton. Cambuslang’s Bobby Bistrow was next, followed by Kilbarchan’s Elspeth Curran, the first woman. Elspeth was followed in the women’s race, at this point, by Garscube’s Kirsty Husband and then Jennifer Emsley of Arran and Central. Next was Central’s Alison Docherty and then, a very focussed, Claire Couper.

Results Wheelchair
Results

Photos


Golden Mo
I saw loads of running buddies and managed to photograph a few them before heading home, in time to catch Mo Farah’ stupendous, Gold winning, performance in the IAAA Men’s 5000m Final at Daegu.


Kilmarnock's John Parker struggles in the heat

GSR Halfs
By the time I headed back out to photograph the Half Marathon runners, I had missed the first 200 or so runners. However there were still plenty more to shoot and give a little support to. By now the sun was beating down on the runners and I was almost glad to be injured. I say almost because it’s not true. I wanted to take some photos from low down as it gives a different perspective. However as I crouched down I could feel my back my back ‘killing me’ and I crawled to the external wall of a house and propped my back against it. Once positioned, I was able to get loads of photos of the runners including a number of Kilmarnock Harriers, Bellahouston, Giffnock, Garscube, Motherwell, Calderglen and Dumbarton AC, who were all well represented, as well as those from other clubs and many from none. After an hour, I managed to haul myself off of the ground and made my way home, where I took a couple of pain killers and headed back to bed.

Results

Photos

Well done to everyone who participated in either of the races, especially those who suffered in the heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment