Thursday 7 April 2011

Enforced Rest at the Cold Front

The daily stretches prescribed by my NHS Physiotherapist worked and I was able to get back into running doing 35mins on Monday 28th march; 45mins on the Tuesday and 50mins on the Wednesday morning. I couldn’t train, well more accurately I couldn’t shower or bathe, on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday as I was connected to a Blood Pressure monitor for 24 hours. (Awaiting results) On Friday I went down with a cold and had to postpone my plans of making a Glasgow parkrun comeback on the Saturday. Although I did wrap up well and took the event’s photographs. I had a quiet night in on Saturday and managed an easy paced 10mile cycle on Sunday before meeting up with my old mate Charlie Smith for a catch-up over a few beers.

By Monday morning my cold had established itself in my chest and was creating significant amounts of phlegm. I listened to my body and took advice from friends, who advised me that it was OK to run with a head cold but ‘No to throat and below”. This means that I’ve not been able to exercise, at all, this week. No cycle commute, no cross-training, no gym/weights and definitely no running! In fact the only exercise I’ve got has been making various cold and flu hot drinks.

I’m hoping that this enforced rest will be good for me and hopefully I’ll be back in the land of the running in the very near future. Of course it could have been worse, I could have been training for one of the number of marathons coming up in the weeks ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment