Friday 7 August 2009

Kilmaurs Classic


With numbers more than doubled from last year and perfect running conditions the second Kilmaurs Gala 5k was an outstanding success. Event organiser David Mitchell had done a great job in promoting the race and improving the course from last year.

Kilmaurs is the next village to Stewarton, where I was brought up but I’ve never spent much time there, when we were youths we tended to travel the other direction to Dunlop or even Irvine rather than there. Although I’d travel through it often on my way to Kilmarnock and there was a smashing lass from there, Lesley Roy, at Kilmarnock Academy with me.

Anyway I joined in with another 42 runners, of differing abilities, to take part in the East Ayrshire race on Wednesday July 29. There were also a number of Killie Harriers in attendance but not competing, some of which were marshaling others supporting and others blethering.

The race started on a track, which had seen better days, in the village’s Morton Park. I started quickly and then deliberately slowed down a little as we completed our second lap of the track. We then joined an undulating and scenic path through the park and back up past the track. Race organiser David Mitchell was waiting here and gave me a shout of encouragement as I climbed the hill. We then ran along the road between the park and the main Kilmaurs – Kilmarnock road where Paula Wilson shouted me on and then Brian Darroch behind me. I headed towards Kilmarnock ensuring that I kept Brian at Bay, past Kara Tait who was texting on her mobile as she marshaled the race. We were then guided off to the left and down a minor country road. I could hear someone behind me and I tried to hold them off but when Mike Flinn of Irvine passed me I decided to let him go but pressed on to ensure that Brian didn’t catch me. Instead I targeted the runner in front of me and overtook him (Graeme Aitken) just before we turned into our left and upwards along a farm road, I pressed on but he tagged on behind me. A sharp left turn took us back onto the track and he was still on my shoulder as we ran around the track, this time running in the opposite direction from the start. As we reached the bend before the final straight I gave it my all and managed to hold him off as I crossed the finish line 16th place, four seconds behind Mike Flinn, in a respectable time of 21:14, two seconds ahead of Graeme and seven ahead of Brian.

Local lad Gavin Holgarth (25) won the East Ayrshire event in an impressive time of 17:04. Ayrshire young gun Sarah Munn (17) continued her recent good form by winning the Women's Race in 19:08.

No comments:

Post a Comment